IRC’s Center for Economic Opportunity (CEO) is a unique Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) Loan Fund and subsidiary of the International Rescue Committee (IRC). CEO specializes in making small-dollar consumer and business loans primarily through IRC’s network of offices across the U.S. that serve over 50,000 refugees and immigrants annually. CEO’s loans are integrated with related economic empowerment programs offered by IRC and support the upward mobility of IRC’s diverse yet economically vulnerable clientele.
CEO has partnered with the Local Initiative Support Corporation (LISC) on a new national service program to provide financial literacy, financial planning, budgeting, saving, and other financial counseling education to clients — all with an eye toward addressing persistent poverty and helping families build a stronger future. CEO and IRC are recruiting 13 full-time Economic Mobility Corps (EMC) AmeriCorps members to serve as Financial Coaches co-located with IRC offices and integrated into local asset-building programs.
This is an AmeriCorps position sponsored by the Local Initiatives Support Corporation, with the term lasting 1 year. Compensation and benefits are paid and provided by LISC, and include:
- Full time member will serve 1700 hours & term of 12 months
- $20,000 stipend payable in 24 equal installments over a 12-month period directly by LISC
- Eligibility for a 100% premium paid Bronze level health care benefit and/or a child care benefit if the member is the primary care giver of a child aged 13 and under
- $6,345 education award to return to school or pay off existing student loan debt upon successful program completion
- CDFI 101 and Credit as an Asset Certificate, as well as training in Financial Coaching during the program
Financial counseling and coaching involve an ability to engage and motivate clients, a strong understanding of personal finances, and the ability to teach that knowledge to others. The Financial Coach is responsible for assisting clients in developing plans that help them reach their goals and achieve financial stability. Coaches will provide financial literacy, financial planning, budgeting, saving, and other financial counseling education in 1:1 and group settings. Additionally, the Financial Coach may support tax preparation services and will also assist clients in completing applications for targeted loan products including credit-building, education, immigration, and auto loans. The position will be hosted by the IRC in Phoenix and will meet monthly with the CEO team as well as other EMC Financial Coaches to share insights and experiences.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
- COVID19 Vaccination
- Background check
- Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Fluent in English both spoken and written; knowledge or fluency in a common refugee language (Pashto, Dari, Farsi, Arabic, Somali, Swahili) strongly preferred
- Previous work experience in non-traditional setting with divere client base
- Self Starter
- Read more and apply here
- Candidates will be enrolled in AmeriCorps by LISC