Internship Overview: The Natural Helper will assist the Youth Caseworker in providing services to immigrant children and their families. The Natural Helper will coordinate services to ensure that the children are living in a safe environment and integrating well into their new community. The Natural Helper will assist the caseworker in connecting them to appropriate services and resources. Travel within Miami-Dade County. This is an unpaid internship.
Learning Objectives: The Natural Helper will gain knowledge of solution-oriented, strengths-based care coordination for immigrant youth and their families. The Natural Helper will develop skills in mapping community assets and resources. The Natural Helper will develop skills in client empowerment and advocacy.
Major Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conduct client follow up assessments
- Assist clients in developing individualized service plans
- Assist in scheduling and accompanying clients to appointments as appropriate
- Map community assets and help make referrals to community partners
- Educate clients on U.S. healthcare and social service systems
- Input client information into the funder and/or agency database(s)
- Communicate client concerns with IRC staff and coordinate service plan with supervisor
- Attend relevant trainings and workshops
- Other duties as assigned
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Required - Bilingual ability in English and Spanish
- Organized with attention to detail
- Able to work independently and under pressure
- An interest in international and immigrant issues
- Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
- Strong desire to help people and enthusiasm for working in a multi-cultural setting
- Computer literacy – preferably with PC systems
- Valid driver’s license, reliable access to an insured vehicle.
- Must pass a background check, interns are responsible for covering the cost of their background check. The price is $51.
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must attend IRC volunteer orientation training
Minimum Commitment: 10 hours per week for four months.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected].