The Citizenship Courses began in late July and had 70 individuals sign-up for online classes. This is a promising start so far!
The classes will help lawful permanent residents prepare for their Naturalization Interview by teaching them U.S. history and civics and providing extended practice in English reading and writing. Classes are led by Senior Citizenship Educators, who have experience in leading Citizenship Project classes. These educators have a background in teaching ESL, American history, and object-based inquiry pedagogy. This background is critical to ensuring courses are linguistically accessible.
The IRC in NY is grateful for the support of the New York Department of State Office for New Americans for this grant, a first for the IRC in NY Immigration Department!
Immigration applications eligible for free services include:
- Citizenship (N-400),
- Derivative Citizenship for minor children (N-600),
- Temporary Protected Status (I-821),
- DACA (I-821D),
- Replacements for expired Greencards (I-90).
The first two course cycles of this year are:
- Week of July 25, 2022 –week of September 26, 2022: First round of classes.
- Week of October 3, 2022 –week of December 12, 2022: Second round of classes.
If you or anyone you know is interested in receiving application assistance or registering for Citizenship Preparation you may send a text to the Immigration Department’s Google Voice Number at (347) 491-7655.