What is Community Sponsorship? What is Co-Sponsorship?
Community Sponsorship is an umbrella term that encompasses many models of community involvement in the formal resettlement process.
Co-Sponsorship is the form of community sponsorship offered through the IRC in Sacramento. Co-Sponsors are groups of volunteers that provide clearly defined in-kind and/or financial contributions and volunteer services to assist in welcoming newcomers and supporting healthy integration to the community.
Co-Sponsorship is an Opportunity to Welcome Newcomers
Co-Sponsor groups enhance the quality of life for displaced individuals and families by supporting their welcome and integration into a local community. Groups can take many forms including local clubs, university communities, faith- based institutions, community groups, sports teams, book clubs, and more.
- Have a team of 3 to 10 dedicated volunteers
- Willingness to provide in-kind donations for household and personal needs
- Commit to 6 months of ongoing client support
- Group representatives sign a non-legally binding Co-Sponsorship agreement with IRC
Learn about Co-Sponsorship:
- Submit your IRC Sacramento Co-Sponsorship Interest Form here.
- Sign up for our next IRC Sacramento Co-Sponorship Informational session here.
Steps to Prepare for Co-Sponsorship Responsibilities:
- Create a group name, and identify the projected timeline that your group wants to get started as a co-sponsor.
- Discuss the capabilities of your group in terms of time commitment, individual roles, responsibilities, and in-kind donations.
- Each group member submits an individual Volunteer Application to IRC Sacramento and one collective Group Application to the IRC Sacramento Co-Sponsorship Coordinator.
- Complete background checks for each individual in your group (this step happens after applying for co-sponsorship and will be discussed during the information session).
- The last step in becoming a co-sponsor involves attending a training session with the Community Sponsorship Coordinator with IRC Sacramento. This session will be scheduled based on your group’s availability.
Thank you for your interest and support. We look forward to hearing from you and working together to support refugees and other newcomers as they integrate into their new community, achieve self-sufficiency and thrive!
Community Sponsorship Contact
Rebekah Marshall, Community Sponsorship Coordinator, [email protected]