The IRC is grateful for the support of the communities in Charlottesville and Richmond and the care shown for the refugees and immigrants we serve. As an international humanitarian organization with decades of experience responding to health crises worldwide, we are monitoring COVID-19 closely, drawing on this experience, and guidance from the CDC and World Health Organization (WHO). We take great care in safeguarding the health of our beneficiaries, our staff members, and the communities we serve. At this time, we are taking the following actions:
- The IRC's office in Charlottesville and Richmond are closed to the public - staff are working remotely.
- All staff members are fully available to clients, partners and community members and can be reached by phone or email.
- Clients seeking assistance with employment, housing or medical needs should contact their primary IRC staff member.
- New clients seeking immigration services should contact Immigration.VA [at] rescue.org (preferred) or call 434-962-9297 and leave a message. Applicants need a smart phone and email address to start their application for citizenship with the IRC.
- In-person English class is suspended. Classes have shifted online.
- The Resettlement Store is closed.
- All volunteer activities are suspended except when carried out remotely.
- We are accepting a limited volume of donations of household items, infant items, personal hygiene products and cleaning supplies by appointment only. Please contact VolunteerCharlottesville [at] rescue.org to learn more. You can also support our families by purchasing much-needed items through our Amazon Wishlists for delivery directly to their homes.
Thank you for your cooperation as we all work together to slow the spread of COVID-19 in our community and protect the health of our clients and staff.
Refugee families have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19's impacts on our communities. Help IRC ensure our clients have the resources they need.
If you have questions, please be in touch with your primary contact at IRC, or email Charlottesville [at] rescue.org or Richmond [at] rescue.org