The IRC in Charlottesville is accepting a limit volume of needed items by appointmet only. Please contact VolunteerCharlottesville [at] rescue.org for more information. You can also support our families by purchasing much-needed items through our Amazon Wishlists for delivery directly to their homes.
The IRC in Charlottesville is committed to bringing our beneficiaries from harm to home. As a part of that commitment, we provide them with necessities they will need to start rebuilding their lives here. To do this, the IRC relies on donated items from community partners that are passed into the hands of our beneficiaries free of charge either through our Resettlement Store or as part of an initial apartment setup.
The IRC’s Resettlement Store is stocked with donations from community members and is open twice each week for IRC families to “shop” for free. See below for an extensive list of acceptable and most needed items. We accept both new and gently used items. This list is updated regularly to reflect current needs and changes in the kinds of items we can and cannot accept. We currently do not accept adult clothing, except shoes and winter coats. Please check here for a more extensive list of items we do not accept.
Current Greatest Need: diapers sizes 1 & 2, laundry detergent (smaller containers that can be carried easily are best)
Deliver donated items to 609 East Market Street, Suite 104 (our office entrance is on 7th Street) by appointment only. There is a loading zone on the corner of 7th St. and Market St. for donation drop-off.
If you are interested in donating items or have any questions, please contact Charlottesville [at] rescue.org or 434-979-7772.
- Bowls and plates
- Pots and pans
- Mixing bowls
- Water glasses
- Tea kettles
- Rice cookers
- New, unused cleaning supplies: all-purpose cleaner, dish soap, sponges
- Laundry detergent & laundry baskets
- Light bulbs
- Irons & ironing boards
- Sewing machines
- Vacuum cleaners
- Space heaters (wintertime)
- Fans & window AC units (summertime)
Personal hygiene products (new only):
- Bar soap
- Tooth brushes
- Tooth paste
- Toilet paper
- Sanitary napkins (please, no tampons)
- Computers (laptop only)
- Televisions (flat panel only - no box TVs)
- Diapers and wipes
- Car seats (especially larger, forward-facing seats for toddlers - please be sure that all donated car seats are unexpired)
- Pack 'n Plays (no cribs, please)
- Seasonal children's clothing all sizes
- Winter Coats
- Digital alarm clocks
- Rugs / Carpets
- Over-ear headphones
- Picture Dictionaries
Our New Roots team is currently looking for:
Greatest needs are in bold.
- 5 gallon buckets
- Compost - Panorama paydirt
- Grub hoes
- 6' to 8’ metal stakes
- 4' to 8' woven wire fencing
- 4' x 4' metal gate
- Motorized weedwhacker
- Landscape fabric
- Garden trowels
- Vegetable seeds
*Please call or email before dropping off large-item donations to ensure we can accept them.
- Items requiring repairs in order to work
- Food items
- Single wine glasses and mugs
- Large, older-model televisions or computers