Join the International Rescue Committee in our first ever Virtual Run/Walk for Refugees. The funds raised will support critical services at the IRC ensuring families have the support they need to thrive in their communities during this time of uncertainty.
At the start of 2020, there were more than 26 million refugees worldwide and 70.8 million displaced persons globally, with more than half of these being children under the age of 18. As we face the COVID-19 pandemic, it is clearer than ever that many in our community are struggling to meet their basic needs. Yet, during this time of social-distancing, the Run/Walk for Refugees presents an opportunity for our community to join together virtually while physically apart.
How it works:
- Register today, and encourage friends and family to join you.
- Purchase and wear your Run for Refugees shirt. Shirts will be mailed out in early May.
- Walk or run 2.6 miles or 7.8 miles between April 27-May 27. You can make the walk/run anywhere—whether in your home, on a treadmill, or outside while socially distancing. Whether you complete the full distance or just a few steps, you'll be helping to raise awareness and funds for refugees and immigrants.
- Share your results on social media using #RunForRefugees2020 and tagging @IRCWichita.
- Why were the distances of 2.6 or 7.8 miles chosen? At the start of 2020, there were more than 26 million refugees world wide and 70.8 million displaced persons globally, with more than half of these being children under the age of 18.
- How does a virtual run/walk work? You sign up online. You run, jog, or walk anytime and anywhere that works for you. You can complete the entire distance at once, or break it up over a few days. It's up to you! You'll receive an emailed race bib with the story of a refugee to wear during your walk/run if you choose. Each registration includes a t-shirt, which will be mailed out in early to mid-May. There is no timing, so walk, jog, or run at your own pace.
- Can I invite others to participate? Absolutely! The more the merrier (as long as you are 6' apart)
- What's included in registration? Registration includes a custom race bib (electronically emailed) and a refugee story to remind why you are participating.