The International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Silver Spring wants to express our gratitude for the outpouring of support in helping newly arriving Afghans in our community. We at the IRC in Silver Spring strive to help all those we work with — refugees, asylees and other humanitarian immigrants— feel safe, stable and welcomed in their new communities. Your continuous help in this effort supports our mission.
Housing needs continue to be one of the biggest challenges we face in welcoming our new neighbors. As we move into the season of giving, we want to share some ways you can directly support:
Airbnb Open Homes (Airbnb.org): Airbnb.org provides people with emergency housing in times of crisis. Airbnb.org is partnering with IRC and other resettlement agencies to fund temporary stays for 20,000 Afghan refugees. Learn more about Airbnb's efforts to support Afghan refugees.
If you are interested in providing your space through Airbnb.org:
- Units must be a private space with a separate entrance, such as a guesthouse or rental apartment. Most stays are 7-14 days, but may be longer. The highest priority is two- and three-bedroom units to accommodate large families.
- List your space at a discounted rate or no cost. Airbnb waives the service fee for all stays.
- Hosts will have a dedicated IRC point of contact and Airbnb support team for all questions during stays. For additional questions, view this Airbnb FAQ page on how you can help support Afghan refugees.
- Airbnb.org is separate from Airbnb.com. By signing up through Airbnb.org, your listings are only available to nonprofits registered with Airbnb, not the general public. The program is open to new and existing Airbnb hosts. Click here to list your unit on Airbnb.org.
- To highlight your unit as open for hosting refugees, contact Kyle.Monsees [at] Rescue.org with your name, email and the title of your listing.
Other Ways to Support Housing
- Donate to the Welcome to Maryland Fund to cover the costs of emergency temporary housing as well as rental and utility assistance.
- Host a fundraiser or community event to raise funds to support Afghans and other newly arrived refugees. Share these opportunities with your community groups or faith organizations and encourage broad participation.
For all inquiries and donations, please contact Kyle.Monsees [at] Rescue.org.