Help newcomers get ready for a wet and chilly Pacific Northwest winter by participating in Winter Welcome! The IRC is seeking warm jackets for children and adults, as well as gift cards which allow families to purchase exactly what they need. We also accept additional winter clothing gear such as hats, gloves/mittens, scarves, winter boots, and wool socks.
Help us reach our goal of collecting 500 gift cards for newly arrived families by December 31st, 2023 and 300 winter coats by March 1st, 2024.
For 40+ years, the IRC has helped thousands of refugees, immigrants, and survivors of human trafficking in our community. We welcome families to the U.S. by securing housing, helping people learn to navigate their new community, helping people find good jobs, enrolling kids in school, and more. In addition to welcoming hundreds of newcomers each year, we serve another 2,500 community members through a broad range of programs, helping people achieve their goals. Whether that's advancing their careers, pursuing educational endeavors, managing health concerns, reuniting with family, or becoming a U.S. citizen, the IRC is here to help.
Winter Welcome is an opportunity to join together as a community in support of our newest neighbors of Washington. By donating warm coats and gift cards, we can help hundreds of newcomer families stay healthy, safe, dry, and warm this winter.
Current donation needs
Suggested gift card value of $25. Larger families will receive additional gift cards depending on size. Our goal is to collect 500 $25 gift cards.
- Visa or MasterCard gift cards - Cash gift cards are preferred, as they give the most flexibility for IRC clients to purchase items needed most!
- Local grocery stores (Safeway, QFC, Fred Meyer, etc.)
- Department/big box stores (Walmart, Target, etc.)
New Winter Coats
Typically we only accept new and never used clothing but we will make an exception and will accept very gently used and in good condition winter coats due to the high need. For winter gear, however, we will only accept new and never worn hats, gloves/mittens, scarves, boots, and socks. As donations are received, this list will be updated to reflect updated size needs. Our goal is to collect 300 winter coats of all sizes.
- Men's Winter Coats – XS-XXL
- Women's Winter Coats – XS-XL
- Children's Winter Coats – toddler through junior sizes
- Winter boots – email [email protected] for specific sizes
How to participate
- Purchase items from our Amazon Wishlist orpurchase items from any retailer. Reference the Wishlist for guidance on sizes and styles of coats needed. For more donation shipment/delivery information, check out these FAQs.
- If you want to donate a new or very gently used winter coat or garment, you can ship or drop off donations during IRC business hours: Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm to IRC's warehouse at 2365 S. 200th Street, SeaTac WA, 98198.
- If you want to donate gift cards, you can mail or drop off donations during IRC business hours: Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm to IRC's warehouse at 1200 S. 192nd Street, SeaTac WA, 98148.
- Please include an itemized list of donations and copies of receipts with your shipment, or email this information to IRC after you've delivered your items. IRC will then issue you a donation receipt. Donors are responsible for assigning a value to in-kind donations for tax purposes. Save those receipts!
- If you're interested in supporting the IRC's local work in other ways, consider making an unrestricted gift where it will be used wherever needed most.
Can I donate used items?
We will accept gently used winter coats if they are in good condition and are clean when donated. All winter gear (e.g. hats, scarves, mittens, boots etc), however, must be new and never worn.
When is the deadline to deliver donations?
Please arrange to ship or drop off items by March 1st, 2024.
Where can I ship my donations?
For winter coats and garments: International Rescue Committee Seattle warehouse: 2365 S. 200th Street, SeaTac WA, 98198
For gift cards: International Rescue Committee Seattle office: 1200 S. 192nd Street, Suite 101, SeaTac WA, 98148.
Can I drop off donations in person?
Yes. Gift card donations can be dropped off at IRC in Seattle's office Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. The address of the office is 1200 South 192nd Street, Suite 101, SeaTac WA, 98148. Winter coats can be dropped off at IRC in Seattle's warehouse Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. The address of the warehouse is 2365 S. 200th Street, SeaTac WA, 98198. Please reach out our to volunteer coordinator to schedule a drop-off time at [email protected]
What kind of jackets are needed? What sizes are most in-need?
Any style that is insulated, easy to care for, and fit for the Seattle-area climate is acceptable. All sizes - children's, women's, men's - are needed. As donations come in, we will update this webpage, as well as our Amazon Wishlist, to reflect the most urgent needs. Referring to the wishlist will help you to determine which size and style needs have not been met yet.
Can I add on items?
Please email [email protected] for any specific donation questions.
Can I include a card with my donations?
Yes! Cards or notes with messages of welcome are encouraged. You will not know the exact person the coat will be given to, so a general message of welcome and kindness is best. Please avoid religious or political messages and iconography.
Are the items I donate tax deductible?
Yes. The IRC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and both financial and in-kind donations are tax-deductable to the extent allowable by law. Please include an itemized list of donations with your shipment, or email the list to IRC after you've delivered your items. IRC will issue you an acknowledgement for tax purposes. Donors are responsible for assigning a value to in-kind donations for tax purposes. Save those receipts! While not required, it is very helpful if you also provide IRC with copies of your receipts. This allows IRC to maintain accurate documentation of donations received by clients, a requirement of many of our government-funded programs.
Have additional questions?
Email [email protected] for more information or to ask specific questions!