SCOPE OF WORK:
The Housing Set-Up volunteer will support the Housing & Logistics Coordinator in furnishing and delivering supplies to ensure the orderly set-up of a new home for a refugee family usually before the family arrives to Utah. The volunteer will support the movement of furniture and supplies from the International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Salt Lake City’s office and storage locations to the apartment or house located in Salt Lake City. The volunteer will also support the placement and setup of furnishing and supplies in the home before the arrival of the new family. Though the IRC will provide a moving van and/or box truck and a staff member to drive the vehicle, volunteers must have access to their own vehicles to provide themselves with transportation to and from the set-up.
- Meet the group at the IRC office or storage location.
- Load furniture into the truck and unload furniture at the apartment often within Salt Lake County.
- Set up and assemble the furniture and beds
- Arrange supplies and other small household items
- Make the new home a welcoming space
- Note: This role does not directly engage with IRC clients. Volunteers will be asked not to return to any home without IRC permission or a staff member present.
- Able to lift heavy furniture and climb multiple flight of stairs.
- Available for 4-6 hours on the day of setup.
- All volunteers must have their own transportation (pick-up truck with or without a trailer preferred)
- Adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies, including confidentiality policies and respect for family experiences.
- Patient, flexible, and reliable.
- Complete an IRC background check
- Must be available during the day & during the work week - assignments will be sent be sent the week prior.
- Attend a general volunteer orientation. Sign up here!
- Attend a mandatory housing training. Sign up here!
Please contact us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Civics & Citizenship Tutor
Support refugees and immigrants as they prepare to take the citizenship test and become American citizens.
IRC Tech Squad Volunteer
Are you a tech geek wanting to support refugees and immigrants in Utah with digital literacy? Join our tech squad!
Student Support Volunteer
Support refugee students in the Salt Lake City area with their remote, online school work by providing basic academic and tech support for grades K-12.
Business Tax Volunteer
Support small business owners throughout the year with tax questions!