Volunteer internships are a great way to gain applied experience in humanitarian work. Every intern works under the supervision of an IRC staff member and helps fulfill our mission to welcome and support humanitarian immigrant clients in Baltimore.
About the positions
All internships will continue to be either partially or fully remote. The IRC will determine when internship positions may include some in-person or office-based activities. Internship positions include:
- Case management
- Community engagement
- Cultural orientation and education
- Employment and financial coaching
- Health and intensive case management
- Immigration legal services
- Logistics and housing
- Youth case management
Schedule and time commitment
Internships generally require a commitment of at least 15 hours per week for 12 weeks. The immigration legal services internship requires a commitment for the full academic year (September-May), and full time in the summer. Internships are unpaid. University credit may be arranged.
Deadlines are as follows:
- Spring internships (late January to mid April): applications open in October and are due late November.
- Summer internships (late May to mid August): applications open in February and are due mid March
- Fall internships (late September to mid December): applications open in June and are due mid July
- Academic year internships (late September to mid April): applications open in June and are due mid July
Position descriptions and applications are available at rescue.org/careers.
More opportunities in Baltimore, MD
Youth Success Coach Volunteer (Remote)
Youth success coaches are matched with 1-2 refugee youth (ages 10-24) to provide support to meet their goals. Success coaches and mentees meet weekly for 10 weeks.
Family Mentor Volunteer (On Hold)
Family mentors work with a refugee family or individual for six months to ease their transition to Baltimore and the U.S.
Welcome Home Project Volunteer
The Welcome Home Project offers individuals or groups an opportunity to prepare an apartment and help to welcome an individual or family to their new home in Baltimore. We are especially in need of groups who can commit to multiple set-ups per year.