Job Description: The IRC in New York provides services to unaccompanied minors as part of a national response to the large influx of youth entering the United States without legal guardians. The Unaccompanied Children Intern will support the Unaccompanied Children Caseworker to complete home studies on potential sponsors and assist minors in obtaining educational, health, and legal services once they are placed with a sponsor. The intern’s primary responsibility will be helping clients to obtain legal assistance, enrollment in school, and health insurance and to conduct research on possible resources available to the children and their sponsors within the 5 boroughs of NYC. The Unaccompanied Children Intern will work within the Resettlement Department at the IRC in NY resettlement office and report to the Unaccompanied Children Caseworker.
- Assist the Unaccompanied Children Caseworker in building relationships with community services providers in relevant areas;
- Accompany children and their sponsors to enroll the children in health insurance, school, medical appointments, and court hearings;
- Research and add to a database of resources within the 5 boroughs in New York City;
- Create starter packet for sponsors;
- Translate documents into Spanish;
- Maintain clients’ case files;
- Other duties as required
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Bilingual in Spanish and English required
- Familiarity with MS Office products (Excel and Word);
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding client information;
- Excellent time management skills, organized and attentive to detail;
To inquire about this position or to apply, click here.