SCOPE OF WORK:
This position supports our Maternal and Child Health Program by helping parents of young children and pregnant clients access healthy foods. Through the Women Infants and Children (WIC) government benefit program, IRC clients receive food benefits to be used at thegrocery store. The process of applying and using these benefits is difficult,even for English speakers,which is why we bring involunteers to assist. Volunteers will be assigned to IRC clients and willteach them how to travel to their WIC clinic via walking or public transportation. Following the appointment, volunteers will show clients how to use their WIC benefits at the grocery store.
- Teach families how to travel to their local WIC clinic to receive WIC benefits
- Ensure interpretation is provided at WIC clinic appointment and advocate for the client
- Attend WIC appointment with family
- If new arrival, travel with family to their preferred grocery store to practice using WIC benefits
- Teach family how to identify items that can be purchased with WIC benefits and how to check out at grocery store
- Be patient and support family’s self-sufficiency and learning above all else
- At least 18 years of age
- Access to reliable transportation; access to reliable personal vehicle preferred with space for car seats
- Adhere to volunteer transportation guidelines to protect volunteers and clients from the spread of Covid-19
- Able to use and cover personal cost of public transportation
- Able to pass IRC background check, which includes evaluation of driving history
- Patient and flexible. Appointments vary in length and usually last 2 hours
- Able to take at least one appointment per month during WIC business hours
- Willingness to learn about WIC and the work of the IRCExperience working with diverse backgrounds preferred
- New volunteers must attend a general volunteer orientation.Sign up here.
- If you are not a current volunteer of the IRC, you will be required to pass a background check. We request a donation of $45 to cover the cost of the background check
- Attend a mandattory WIC Volunteer training session on either October 7 at 1pm or October 15 at 10am. Sign up here.
Please email us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Online Youth Tutor
This 2020-2021 school year support refugee youth of all ages with various tutoring needs!
IRC Tech Squad Volunteer
Are you a tech geek wanting to support refugees and immigrants in Utah with digital literacy? Join our tech squad!
Student Support Volunteer
Support refugee students in the Salt Lake City area with their remote, online school work by providing basic academic and tech support for grades K-12.
Small Business Development Volunteer
Got business skills? Come support a refugee entrepreneur succeed with their business.