Welcome Center- Help Asylum Seeking Families
IRC Phoenix is looking for volunteers that would like to assist asylum seeking families at the Welcome Center, a dynamic, 24/7 emergency support center providing resources to newly arrived asylum seekers and their children.
There are several teams of volunteers at the Welcome Center. Volunteers can choose what areas they would like to help with. Some roles require additional screening, background check, and/or Spanish fluency. Volunteer teams include:
- Serve clients hot food for lunch and dinner, organizing and cleaning kitchen areas, pick up and drop off meals from community partners
- Review documents and collect information from clients, provide legal resources and next steps at the Welcome Center
- Transportation (Motor Vehicle Record Required)
- Escort clients to bus station or airport, print travel documents and coordinate travel onsite
- Sort and re-donate items given to the Welcome Center, assist clients in our Ropa room to get a change of clothes and hygeine items
- Medical Support (HIPAA certification Required)
- Assist medical partner with covid testing, medical check-ins and vaccines
- Children’s Programming (Fingerprint Clearance Card Required)
- Provided trauma informed children's programming and manage playroom
- Manage lobby area of the Welcome Center to collect donations, vet vistors, and answer phone calls
- Help with the beautification of the Welcome Center and implement creative projects such as painting and landscaping
- We accept all ages. Under 18 years with guardian
- Flexibility with time
- Reliable transportation
- 2-4 hours shifts available 24/7
- Weekly volunteering is helpful and encouraged!
- Prefer Spanish or Portuguese fluency, but not required
- All applicants will need to attend orientation and complete a background check
- Sign up for Welcome Center Orientation here.
- Complete $20 flat-fee background check
- Provide additional documents for specific volunteer teams if needed.
- Receive on-site training and be in contact with Volunteer Coordinator and Volunteer lead.
- Start Volunteering!
- If you are a community group looking to schedule a volunteer day or become involved with the Welcome Center, please email WelcomeCenterVolunteer [at] rescue.org
If you have additional questions, please email WelcomeCenterVolunteer [at] Rescue.org.
More opportunities in Phoenix, AZ
Admin Support Volunteer
The Administration Department provides support for front line staff. We keep the vans running, the office equipment and supplies ready, keep our office space clean, safe, and comfortable, and support HR functions, all of which help front line staff.
Fleet Management Support Volunteer
One of our most important jobs is keeping the vans running, stocked, and clean so that staff can provide safe, comfortable, sanitized transportation for our clients. The Fleet Management Support Volunteer does not interact directly with clients but supports the Administration Specialist.
Fall 2021 Internships
The Phoenix office offers a variety of internships in various departments and educational areas.
The Family Reunification Specialist in the coordination of Affidavit of Relationship (AOR) applications within the Reception and Placement (R&P) program. The volunteer will primarily assist in outreach to refugee clients, ethnic community based organizations, and religious communities to provide information on the newly expanded AOR program. The volunteer will assist in the collection and scanning of the necessary application documentation and client follow up in order to ensure applications are complete for submission to IRC headquarters.