IRC Welcome Center- Help Asylum Seeking Families
IRC Phoenix is looking for volunteers that would like to assist asylum seeking families at the IRC Welcome Center, a dynamic, 24/7 emergency support center providing resources to newly arrived asylum seekers and their children. Sign up for orientation here to start the on-boarding process.
There are several teams of volunteers at the IRC Welcome Center. Volunteers can choose what areas they would like to help with. Some roles require additional documentation and/or language fluency. Volunteer teams include:
- Serve clients hot food, organize and clean kitchen areas, pick up and drop off meals from community partners
- Review documents and collect client information, provide legal resources, and next steps
- Escort clients to bus station or airport, print travel documents, and coordinate travel onsite
- Sort and re-donate items given to the IRC Welcome Center, assist clients with a change of clothes, and manage shower area
- Remote opportunity to wash laundry
Medical Support (HIPAA certification Required)
- Assist medical partner with covid testing, medical check-ins, and clinic operations
Children’s Programming (Fingerprint Clearance Card Required)
- Provided trauma informed children's programming and manage playroom
- Assist with administrative work
- Help with the beautification of the IRC Welcome Center, such as creative projects, cleaning, and maintenance
- Must be 18 years or older. Volunteers ages 12-17 are only permitted to volunteer at the center for a Day of Service project scheduled with the ASF Volunteer Specialist.
- Flexibility with time
- Reliable transportation
- 2-4 hours shifts available 24/7
- Weekly volunteering is helpful and encouraged!
- Prefer Spanish or Portuguese fluency, but not required
- All applicants will need to attend orientation and complete a background check
***All volunteers are required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
- Sign up for Welcome Center Orientation here. Orientations are located in the downtown Phoenix area, they are not at the Glendale office. Please wait for the address to be provided after sign up.
- You do not need to complete an application or interview for Asylum Seeker Volunteer.
- Complete $20 flat-fee background check
- Provide additional documents for specific volunteer teams if needed.
- Receive on-site training and be in contact with ASF Volunteer Specialist and Volunteer lead.
- Start Volunteering!
Community Groups or Volunteer Organizations:
- If you are a community group or volunteer organization looking to schedule a volunteer day of service project or become involved with the IRC Welcome Center, please sign up for orientation here.
- Donate directly to Asylum Seeking Families here.
- IRC Welcome Center Amazon Wishlist here.
- Contact [email protected] for donation drives, updated donation needs, and donation drop-offs.
If you have additional questions, please email [email protected].