Welcome Center- Help Asylum Seeking Families
IRC Phoenix is looking for volunteers that would like to assist asylum seeking families at the Welcome Center, a dynamic, 24/7 emergency support center providing resources to newly arrived asylum seekers and their children.
There are several teams of volunteers at the Welcome Center. Volunteers can choose what areas they would like to help with. Some roles require additional screening, background check, and/or Spanish fluency. Volunteer teams include:
- Serve clients hot food for lunch and dinner, organizing and cleaning kitchen areas, pick up and drop off meals from community partners
- Review documents and collect information from clients, provide legal resources and next steps at the Welcome Center
- Transportation (Motor Vehicle Record Required)
- Escort clients to bus station or airport, print travel documents and coordinate travel onsite
- Sort and re-donate items given to the Welcome Center, assist clients in our Ropa room to get a change of clothes and hygeine items
- Medical Support (HIPAA certification)
- Assist medical partner with covid testing and medical check-ins
- Children’s Programming (Fingerprint Clearance Card)
- Provided trauma informed children's programming and manage playroom
- Manage lobby area of the Welcome Center to collect donations, vet vistors, and answer phone calls
- Help with the beautification of the Welcome Center and implement creative projects such as painting and landscaping
- We accept all ages. Under 18 years with guardian
- Flexibility with time
- Reliable transportation
- Ability to commit to 4 hour volunteer shift weekly
- Prefer Spanish or Portuguese fluency, but not required
- All applicants will need to attend orientation and complete a background check
- Sign up for Welcome Center Orientation
- Complete $20 flat-fee background check
- Provide additional documents for specific volunteer teams if needed.
- Receive on-site training and be in contact with Volunteer Coordinator and Volunteer lead.
- Start Volunteering!
If you have additional questions, please email WelcomeCenterVolunteer [at] Rescue.org.
More opportunities in Phoenix, AZ
Housing Support Volunteer
The Housing Support Volunteer will assist the Housing and Logistics Coordinator and Casework team to build resources for housing options for refugees along with assisting in setting up and moving refugees and asylees into their new homes. The volunteer will work with the Housing and Logistics Coordinator to identify safe, clean, and affordable homes and apartments for newly arrived refugees and asylees along with assisting in setting up and moving clients as needed and delivering food preparation for newly arriving refugees. Furthermore, the housing and support volunteer will also assist in identifying affordable housing resources for longer term refugee and asylees clients.