This is a monthly volunteer opportunity within the Food and Farming Department at the International Rescue Committee in San Diego.
As a volunteer, you will be helping to maintain the visual aesthetic of our North Park urban farm where we run our Youth FarmWorks program. The FarmWorks program provides a paid work internship for low-income youth (ages 16-20) from the City Heights neighborhood to develop transferable job skills during the internship and, hopefully, land a permanent job immediately afterwards. The IRC operates the Youth FarmWorks urban farm and pop-up farm stand each week as a job platform for the youth interns to develop real-world work experience, while also generating revenue to sustain the program long-term.
Regular Volunteer Tasks Include:
- Weeding the pathways and areas surrounding our raised beds,
- Maintaining the pathways in the garden - i.e. moving mulch in wheelbarrows and laying mulch in pathways,
- Weeding within our raised beds,
- Various other garden activities, as needed.
Possible Volunteer Activities Include (depending on the month):
- Building various garden items with our Youth FarmWorks interns - i.e. scarecrow, community mini-library, planting out a "wheelbarrow garden bed," various other garden activities, as needed.
- Saturday, June 8th
- Saturday, July 13th
- Saturday, August 10th
- 10:30am-1:30pm - Please come for however long you can. You do not have to stay for the entire 3 hours. Please give us an approximate arrival time and for how long you will be able to stay.
- 3725 30th St, San Diego, CA 92104 (Corner of 30th and Gunn St. in North Park)
- Street Parking. There is usually parking available within walking distance. There is also a parking garage one block north of us. We recommend car-pooling whenever possible.
What to Bring:
- Please wear comfortable clothing that you do not mind getting dirty.
- Closed toed shoes are required, we cannot let you work on-site if you are wearing open-toed shoes.
- Water bottle to keep hydrated.
- Sunscreen and any other weather appropriate items.
Contact Robbie Wilcox for questions regarding this opportunity:
Robbie.Wilcox [at] rescue.org
(619) 641-7510 x 263
More opportunities in San Diego, CA
San Diego Internship Opportunities
Academic internships currently available at the IRC in San Diego.
Would you like to help permanent residents applying for naturalization? Become an interview practice workshop tutor!
Civic Engagement Assistant
Are you interested in helping El Cajon residents learn how to improve their local communities? Become a Civic Engagement Assistant!
Center for Financial Opportunity: Front Desk Assistant
Join our Center for Financial Opportunity to empower refugees and other community members trying to obtain and succeed in employment opportunities.