Assist newly arrived refugees as they navigate health care appointments. Health Access volunteers provide transportation, either via public transportation or a personal vehicle, to get refugees to health appointments, walk them to the correct clinic, help them through the check-in process and make sure they have everything they need before they leave. Health Access volunteers are key to making sure our clients feel comfortable and supported within an intimidating system. Volunteers also communicate with the IRC health team to make sure that if there are issues or required next steps, we can address them. The interactions with clients served are one-time interactions.
- Drive refugees in personal vehicle to and from various medical appointments
- Provide bus orientations to primary care clinics of refugee clients
- Advocate for client at appointment to ensure proper treatment and interaction
- Communicate questions, successes and challenges with IRC staff
- 18 or older with valid driver's license and insurance
- Live within Salt Lake County
- Must be available for a full work day (9am-5pm) to provide health team with enough time to schedule an appointment. Official appointment information will be sent the Friday prior to your shift. Typical shift length is 3-4 hours a week
- Patience and flexible
- Clear an IRC HireRight background check
- Reliable, flexible and able to work independently
- Attend a general volunteer orientation. Sign up here.
- Attend a health access training - training will be scheduled one-on-one.
Please email us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Small Business Development Volunteer
Got business skills? Come support a refugee entrepreneur succeed with their business.
Goat Project Feeding Volunteer
Interested in volunteering outside with goats? Come support the Goat Project by taking on a regular goat feeding shift!
IRC Tech Squad Volunteer
Are you a tech geek wanting to support refugees and immigrants in Utah with digital literacy? Join our tech squad!
IRC in Salt Lake City Internships
IRC in Salt Lake City offers a variety of internships from case management to health to marketing and beyond!