Hours per week: 15 – 35 hours per week, during IRC’s regular business hours of 9 am – 5 pm, Monday – Friday
Duration: 3 months (or more)
IRC is committed to working with student schedules. As such, we are flexible with accommodating time off for midterms and school holidays, and altering time availability with changing class schedules. All internships with the IRC are unpaid.
IRC Internships are available to current and recently graduated undergraduate or graduate students looking to apply their skills, gain real-world experience and impact lives (available to non-students as volunteer opportunities).
Prospective interns must go through the volunteer process and should be currently enrolled in an educational institution or a recent graduate. Our office is a fast-paced environment that is successful due to both the personal initiative of individual staff members and the team-like mentality of the entire organization.
The ideal intern candidate will be able to complete their daily responsibilities, to solve problems with minimal supervision, and to provide support as needed to the overall team. Interns work alongside staff to provide direct services. All leave their internship with transferable skills that can help launch a career within the nonprofit sector.
Candidates must have the following qualities:
- Reliable with strong attention to timeliness
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and with supervisors)
- Possess a great attention to detail
- Organized and able to multi-task
- Have a strong sense of personal initiative
- Able to work with a team and independently in a fast-paced setting
Ready to get the process started? Click here to view and apply to current internship openings. Unable to find the internship postings? Go to www.rescue.org/careers "Search Jobs and Apply" and then narrow your search to USA-Silver Spring, MD.
Components of a completed application:
Apply directly to the internship position posting online, including required and optional fields
1) Resume and 2) Cover letter stating your desired position, availability and motivation for applying. Please tailor your cover letter(s) to reflect your interest in a particular position(s). Cover letters should clearly state your time availability, which includes a) a specific projected start and end date, b) the number of hours you are available each week, and c) the days and times in which you are available.
After you have submitted a completed application, qualified applicants will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator to schedule a screening interview. If the canidate advances past the screening interview then they will be invited by program staff for an in-person interview at our office in Silver Spring. All positions are unpaid and initial offers are contigent on background check results ($30 contribution for background check required upon accepting intial internship offer).
Email Mark.Youmans [at] rescue.org (subject: IRC%20Silver%20Spring%20Internship) for more information.
More opportunities in Silver Spring, MD
Greet IRC clients and connect them with IRC staff.
Family mentor volunteer
Work one-on-one with a refugee family or individual to ease their transition to the National Capital Region and the United States.
Housing Set-up Volunteer
Help our Logistics Specialist prepare for a family to arrive by setting up their apartment.
Refugee Welcome Home Project Volunteer
Lead an effort to fully furnish and set-up a home for a refugee family arriving to Maryland.