SCOPE OF WORK:
The IRC Tech Squad will help us support refugee individuals and families by providing tech support and general digital literacy education through remote channels. IRC SLC offers many remote programs and services, and the Tech Squad is one way for clients to receive help in accessing these programs, as well as support in other areas such as navigating a newly received device, downloading a helpful smartphone app, and connecting their device to the internet. Education and tech support requests will be recorded on a shared document along with other information needed to fill each. Volunteers and IRC SLC Digital Inclusion program staff will regularly check, work from, and update this document accordingly. This is an opportunity for individuals to act as both a mentor and guide in navigating a new community and creating a safe space for the family to learn and improve in their technology use and English skills.
- When completing volunteer work, convey information with respect and kindness
- Communicate and update DI program staff as much as needed
- Complete a volunteer check-in after the first, second and third month
- Stay up to date on educational and other resources available to volunteers; resources are meant to be used during educational and tech support phone calls, and upon request other resources will be provided
- Patient, reliable communication
- Regularly and frequently check the shared document for support requests
- Update the shared document as needed with correct information
- Adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies, including confidentiality policies and respect for family experiences
- Respect the time of interpreters and clients, allow time for translation when working with interpreters
- Communicate clearly and effectively in English. Additional fluency in a refugee language is a plus, but not required
- Preferred client languages: Kinyarwanda, Kiswahili, Rohingya, Dari, Farsi, Pashto, Arabic, Spanish
- Intermediate to advanced general computer skills
- Attend a general volunteer orientation for new volunteers. Sign up here!
- Attend a tech squad training or one-on-one training with Digital Inclusion Coordinator. Sign up here!
Please contact us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Come support parents of young children and pregnant clients access healthy foods.
Online Youth Tutor
This 2020-2021 school year support refugee youth of all ages with various tutoring needs!
Student Support Volunteer
Support refugee students in the Salt Lake City area with their remote, online school work by providing basic academic and tech support for grades K-12.
Small Business Development Volunteer
Got business skills? Come support a refugee entrepreneur succeed with their business.