The Reception and Placement (R&P) program offers support and guidance to newly-arrived refugees through the initial stages of resettlement. Refugee Resettlement Casework Interns work alongside IRC caseworkers to orient newcomers to life in the US and connect families with essential services in the community. In addition to providing direct services, Interns also assist with administrative duties, including case file documentation, scheduling appointments, arranging transportation to appointments, and other related activities. This internship is a great opportunity to gain professional experience in a multi-cultural, social services setting. Specific responsibilities of interns will include:
- Assist clients with appointments with service providers (Social Security Administration, Health Department, ESOL Classes, Bus Orientations, WIC, etc.)
- Schedule appointments on behalf of clients
- Assist clients to complete and submit applications
- Manage client case files and documentation
- General administrative support to the department and assist caseworkers with other tasks as assigned
Location: The IRC's Tallahassee office, 1310 Cross Creek Circle, Suite A, Tallahassee, FL 32301.
Time Commitment: Minimum 16 hours/week during IRC office hours (M-F, 9am-5pm). Regular schedule required. The internship begins May 10 to July 30.
- This internship is for undergraduate students, graduate students, or recent college graduates
- Must pass a background check. Candidates will contribute $51 towards covering the cost of their background check
- Car is not required but it's preferred
- Strong intercultural communication skills, demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and across language barriers
- Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- Must be adaptable, flexible and patient
- Familiarity with Windows operating system and confidence in basic computer skills (word processing, email, data entry)
- Ability to communicate effectively in English; additional fluency in one of the following languages desirable but not required: French, Spanish and Swahili
- Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
If you are interested in becoming an IRC intern for the next school semester, please:
1) Fill out the online application
2) Email Site Manager, Una Bilic, at Una.Bilic [at] rescue.org, your proposed schedule for the Summer 2021 semester. (Minimum 16 hours, 4-hour blocks.)
If selected, Una Bilic will contact you with the next steps.
More opportunities in Tallahassee, FL
Caseworker Assistant Intern
The Caseworker Assistant Intern will assist the Human Trafficking Program Coordinator in providing services to survivors of all forms of human trafficking. The Caseworker Assistant Intern will identify and provide community resources to clients that improve self-sufficiency. The Caseworker Assistant Intern will also assist with community awareness and outreach efforts. Travel within Leon, Wakulla, Gadsden, Franklin, Jefferson, and Liberty counties.