Thank you for considering a donation to the IRC in Baltimore! The IRC provides clients with basic necessities to rebuild their lives in Maryland. To do this, we work with community members and partner organizations to provide new and gently-used donated items. Please review the options below for next steps to donate needed items.
1. Amazon Wish List
Consider purchasing from our Amazon Wish List! Wish List items are delivered to the IRC office and staff distribute directly to clients. One of the best ways to support IRC clients now is by purchasing gift cards, which clients can use to purchase food, phone credit, household items, or other necessities. The list is also updated as needs change.
2. Donation drop-off appointment for needed items
Due to very limited storage space, we are only able to accept pre-approved donations by appointment at our office.
If you are interested in donating items in the future, please review the list of items below that we can accept. *Starred* items must be new.
Needed items include:
- Personal hygiene items: *deodorant, *lotion, *shampoo, *soap, *toothbrush, *toothpaste, *feminine products (pads), *razors, *shaving cream, *toilet paper
- Household cleaning supplies: *laundry detergent, *sponges, *all-purpose cleaner, *paper towels, broom, dust pan, vacuum
- Kitchen items: plates, bowls, glasses, mugs, utensils, pots, pans, electric kettles
- Backpacks and school supplies: backpacks for K-12 students, *paper, *spiral notebooks, *folders, *pens, *pencils, *markers, *colored pencils, *crayons
- Baby items: strollers, blankets, *car seats
- Linens: bath towels, hand towels, kitchen towels, sheets and blankets for twin and queen mattresses, *pillows. Gently-used items must be washed. Sheets and blankets must be labelled 'twin' or 'queen' size.
- Household items: hangers, table lamps, small garbage cans, organizers such as drawer sets, bins, baskets
We do not accept: clothing, toys, furniture or electronics. We recommend Habit for Humanity of the Chesapeake ReStore for furniture donations.
3. Group collection projects for needed items
We encourage you to contact us before starting to collect items for a Welcome Home Project or special donation drive.
- Volunteer with the Welcome Home Project to collect household items and set up an entire apartment for a new family. This is a great project for a small group or family. Kids are welcome to join with adults. At least one member of the group must a attend a volunteer information session and special training.
- Organize a special collection for needed items. Group donation drives typically include a set number and type of backpacks and school supplies, winter coats, or personal hygiene kits. Please contact us before starting a collection to ensure items are needed and we have sufficient storage space.