The IRC in Baltimore provides clients with basic necessities to rebuild their lives in Maryland. To do this, we rely on new and gently-used donated items from community partners. Please review the donation guidelines below if you are interested in contributing needed items to the IRC.
Steps to donate needed items:
- Review the list of needed items below. Our storage space is very limited, so we are only able to accept items on this list.
- Complete this Ryan.Coster [at] Rescue.org (subject: In-Kind%20Donations, body: *Note%20from%20IRC%3A%20please%20fill%20out%20the%20information%20below%20to%20help%20us%20process%20your%20donation%20inquiry.%20Thank%20you!%20%0A%0A1.%20Your%20name%3A%20%0A%0A2.%20How%20did%20you%20hear%20about%20the%20IRC%3F%20%0A%0A3.%20What%20items%20would%20you%20like%20to%20donate%3F%20Please%20reference%20our%20website%20for%20current%20needs%3A%20http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FIRCin-kind-donations%20%0A%0A4.%20When%20would%20like%20to%20deliver%20the%20items%20to%20the%20IRC%20office%3F%20%0A%0A5.%20Are%20you%20interested%20in%20getting%20involved%20with%20the%20IRC%20in%20other%20ways%3F%20If%20so%2C%20have%20you%20attended%20an%20IRC%20info%20session%3F%20Upcoming%20dates%20are%20listed%20here%3A%20https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rescue.org%2Fvolunteer-opportunities%2Fbaltimore-md.%20%0A%0A%0A%0A%0A) (email form) to let us know which needed items you would like to donate.
- IRC staff will reply within 1-2 weeks to confirm whether we can accept items and arrange a drop-off time in the coming few weeks.
- Donations are only accepted by appointment.
Needed items include:
- Items from our Amazon Wish List. These purchases are delivered to the IRC office and staff distribute directly to clients or place in our resettlement shop.
- Gift cards to allow clients to purchase food, clothing, and other critical items. Giant, Aldi, Target and Walmart are preferred.
- Specific items for our resettlement shop and new apartment set-ups. These items include:
- Kitchen items: plates, bowls, glasses, mugs, utensils, pots, pans, electric kettles
- Clothing: new or gently used women's and men's clothes (sizes small and medium only); children's clothes; shoes. Gently used items must be washed.
- Personal hygiene items: *deodorant, *lotion, *shampoo, *soap, *toothbrush, *toothpaste, *feminine products (pads), *razors, *shaving cream, *toilet paper
- Backpacks and school supplies: backpacks for K-12 students, *paper, *spiral notebooks, *folders, *pens, *pencils, *markers, *colored pencils, *crayons
- Baby items: strollers, blankets, small toys, *car seats
- Linens: bath towels, hand towels, kitchen towels, sheets and blankets for twin and queen mattresses, *pillows. Gently used items must be washed. Sheets and blankets must be labelled twin or queen size.
- Household items: hangers, table lamps, small garbage can, organizers such as drawer sets, bins, baskets
- Cleaning supplies: *detergent, *sponges, *all-purpose cleaner, *paper towels, broom, dust pan, vacuum
*Starred items must be new.
Note: we are not able to pick up or accept furniture donations. We recommend contacting the Habit for Humanity of the Chesapeake ReStore, where we often purchase furniture for clients.
Other ways to collect and donate needed items:
- Join the Welcome Home Project to collect household items and set up an entire apartment for a new family. This is a great project for a group or family.
- Ryan.Coster [at] Rescue.org (subject: Interested%20in%20a%20collection%20drive, body: Please%20include%20the%20following%20information%3A%20%0A%0A1.%20Your%20name%3A%20%0A%0A2.%20How%20did%20you%20hear%20about%20the%20IRC%3F%20%0A%0A3.%20Have%20you%20attended%20an%20info%20session%3F%20Upcoming%20dates%20are%20listed%20here%3A%20https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rescue.org%2Fvolunteer-opportunities%2Fbaltimore-md%0A%0A4.%20What%20type(s)%20of%20items%20would%20you%20or%20your%20group%20like%20to%20donate%3F%20%0A%0A5.%20What%20is%20the%20time%20frame%20for%20your%20project%3F) (Contact us) about creating a special donation drive for your group. Donation drives typically include backpacks and school supplies, winter clothing, or personal hygiene items. Note: please contact us before starting your collection, to ensure items are needed and we have sufficient storage space.