The IRC’s Richmond office offers a variety of unpaid internship opportunities throughout the year.
Prospective interns must go through the volunteer process and should be currently enrolled in an educational institution or a recent graduate. For more information, contact VolunteerRichmond [at] rescue.org (subject: Internship%20opportunities%20at%20IRC%20Richmond) .
Steps to becoming an IRC Intern:
This is an unpaid internship.
- Get to know the IRC in Richmond and learn more about how you can be involved by attending a monthly information session. To RSVP for the information session, email us at VolunteerRichmond [at] rescue.org.
- When you are ready to join the IRC as an intern, apply using our online system. To see a list of current internship openings, please visit the IRC Careers page select Search Jobs and Apply and select "US-VA-Richmond" in the location menu.
- Complete an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator and additional staff as required to determine whether there is an appropriate internship position available for you.
- Once you complete an interview and accept an offer, the IRC will conduct a background check. Your internship placement will only be confirmed after your background check is cleared.
- When your placement is confirmed, the Volunteer Coordinator will work with you and the appropriate staff person to schedule your first day. All newly accepted interns are required to attend an orientation session to learn about office policies, confidentiality, and communication guidelines and to make all efforts to participate in ongoing training opportunities. The application process typically takes at least two weeks to complete (including the background check).
The IRC in Richmond offers internships during the summer and the academic year (fall + spring).
June - September
15+ hours / week. More are preferred.
Academic Year Internships:
September - May
Interns are selected to assist with various departments at the IRC, including:
Casework: Interns will assist casework staff in providing direct client services, including shopping for and setting up households for arriving refugee families, transporting and accompanying clients to required appointments such as Social Security office, Health Department, Dept. of Social Services and providing orientation to the Charlottesville public transit system. Interns will also perform administrative tasks such as completing applications for services on behalf of clients, creating documentation for case files, and making appointments. Valid driver's licence, vehicle insurance, good driving record, and regular access to a vehicle required.
Employment: Finding and maintaining employment is a key element to refugee self-sufficiency. The intern will assist IRC employment staff to identify potential employers and job opportunities for refugee clients. The intern will complete job applications, assist with resume writing, prepare clients for job interviews, fill out new hire paperwork, shop for needed work clothes and tools, and accompany clients to their first day of work. Depending on the intern's schedule, h/she may act as a teaching assistant in job readiness classes. The intern will also provide administrative support including documenting job search activities and delivering appointment notices to clients' homes. Valid driver's license, vehicle insurance, good driving record, and regular access to a vehicle required.
Health: The Health Intern will work closely with the IRC Health Liaison to assist clients with their health care needs. This may include care coordination, advocacy, and transportation assistance. Valid driver's license, vehicle insurance, good driving record, and regular access to a vehicle required.
Education: The refugees and clients that the IRC serves come from a variety of backgrounds and their skill levels and comprehension of subjects vary. The Education Intern will assist the IRC Instructional Specialist to create an inviting atmosphere and to use curriculum to meet the clients’ skill sets and abilities. The IRC has classes at the IRC and also aspires to offer more classes in the community.
*Please note that all internships are unpaid.