The IRC in Silver Spring is committed to bringing our refugee clients from harm to home. As part of that commitment, we provide them with basic necessities – such as clothing and household items they need to start rebuilding their lives here. To do this, the IRC relies on donated items from community partners that are passed onto our clients free of charge.
How to make an in-kind donation
1. Review what is needed. You'll find a few different lists of requested items: Individual Donation List, Kit Donations, and the Specific Request List.
- The items on the Individual Donation List (below) are items that are regularly needed and are typically distributed (free of charge) via the onsite Resettlement Shop, when setting up an apartment for a new arrival, or when our clients meet us at the office. If you want to donate an item not on this list, contact Kyle.Monsees [at] Rescue.org to determine whether we will accept it before you bring it to our office.
- The items on the Specific Community Needs List are requests we have received from a specific individual, family or an IRC program. You may sign up to donate a specific item on the Specific Community Needs List provided.
- The items on the Kit Donations List (below) are items that the IRC is required to provide each refugee family. While it is helpful to have a full kit, we are also thankful for individual donations of these items.
- Order brand new mattresses and bed frames to a donated storage room at a local apartment complex, to be provided to IRC refugee clients free of charge! See bottom of page for more details.
2. Drop off at our office. Our office is located at 8719 Colesville Rd 3rd Floor Silver Spring, MD 20910. You can drop off donations anytime during regular business hours (Monday-Friday 9AM-5PM).
*Please make sure that donations are new or gently used. We do not accept items that are stained, ripped, are missing pieces/parts, or don’t work properly.
Can't make it to our office? Donate online via our Amazon Wish List or you can search online yourself. Please make deliveries to:
Attn: Kyle Monsees 8719 Colesville Road, 3rd Floor Silver Spring, MD 20910
Have gently used sofas, dressers, or dining tables and chairs? We may be able to arrange a pickup with one of our community partners. Email our Logistics Specialist at Corey.Rheingrover [at] rescue.org.
3. Sign up to receive updates. Provide your name and email to receive information about future donation drives (winter clothes, school supplies, etc.)
Individual Donation List:
- Car Seats (Must be brand new)
- Vacuum cleaners
- School Supplies such as pens, pencils, notebooks (must be new and packaged)
- Gift Cards to Target, Walmart, or CVS
- SmarTrip Cards
- Baby Wipes
- Pack and Plays
- Baby Bottles
- Laptop Computers (ready to use)
- Smartphones (and chargers)
Kit Donation List
Order brand new mattresses and bed frames to a donated storage room at a local apartment complex, to be provided to IRC refugee clients free of charge!
Please make deliverable to:
Attn: Corey Rheingrover
6143 64th Avenue
Riverdale, MD 20737
Please note, mattresses must be packaged as a “mattress in a box” and a minimum of 8 inches in thickness. Bed frames and mattresses must not require a box spring to use and can only be twin size or full size. We recommend the following products:
Twin size mattress: https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Ultima-Comfort-Memory-Mattress/dp/B006L9QN4G
Full size mattress: https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Ultima-Comfort-Memory-Mattress/dp/B006L9U4PK
Email our Logistics Specialist, Corey.Rheingrover [at] rescue.org, with any questions about bed donations.