The IRC in Silver Spring is committed to bringing our refugee clients from harm to home. As part of that commitment, we provide them with basic necessities – such as clothing and household items they need to start rebuilding their lives here. To do this, the IRC relies on donated items from community partners that are passed onto our clients free of charge.
How to make an in-kind donation
1. Review what is needed. You'll find a few different lists of requested items: Individual Donation List, Kit Donations, and the Specific Request List.
• The items on the Individual Donation List (below) are items that are regularly needed and are typically distributed via the onsite free stop and shop, when setting up an apartment for a new arrival, or when our clients meet us at the office. These are popularly requested items and therefore we can distribute them quickly to our clients preventing us from worrying about storage.
• The items on the Kit Donations List (below) are items that the government requires we provide each refugee family. These donations will be waiting for families at their apartment when they arrive. Kit Donation items can be delivered separately. While it is helpful to have a full kit, we are also thankful for individual donations of these items.
• The items on the Specific Request List (hyperlinked) are requests we have received directly from a family or an IRC program. Since these are specific requests, we don't want to receive donations that exceed the specific request.
2. Schedule a delivery. To schedule a delivery, please fill out this IRC In-Kind Donation Form. Not able to make a delivery? Consider purchasing the item online and have it delivered. You can choose from our premade Amazon Wish List or can search online yourself. Please make deliveries to:
Attn: Mark Youmans 8719 Colesville Road, 3rd Floor Silver Spring, MD 20910
Have gently used sofas or dining sets? We may be able to arrange a pickup with one of our community partners. Email our Logistics Specialist at Corey.Rheingrover [at] rescue.org.
3. Make the donation. Please make sure that donations are new or gently used. Our rule of thumb is to ask yourself if you would gift those items to a friend. This means, we do not accept items that are stained, ripped, are missing pieces/parts, or don’t work properly. Thank you for understanding. We sincerely appreciate your help sorting like donations together and donating in boxes or bags.
Individual Donation List:
- We are no longer accepting donations of coats and clothing at this time. Thank you for all those who contributed!
- Gift Cards to Target, Walmart, or CVS
- Pots and Pans
- Laptop Computers (ready to use)
- SmarTrip Cards
- Umbrella Strollers
- Baby Bottles
- Baby Wipes
- Pack and Plays
- Children's bikes/tricylces/scooters with helmets
- Vacuum cleaners
- Adult bikes (with helmet, lock, and light)
- Car Seats (Must be brand new)
- Twin Size Sheet Set (1 flat sheet, 1 fitted sheet, 1 pillow case)
- Full or Queen Size Sheet Set (1 flat sheet, 1 fitted sheet, 2 pillow cases)
- School Uniforms for kindergarten to high school students (khaki pants with white, navy blue, black, and/or gold short-sleeved polo shirt-good condition)
Kit Donation List
• Office or storage space
• Financial Donations (Donate)
• Gift Cards-(Target and Walmart most desired)-to allow clients to purchase food, clothing, and other critical items.
Please consider fundraising for refugees in the DC Metro area. You can receive IRC materials for your fundraiser. Sign up to fundraise here.
Don't have any of these items? Email Mark and let him know that you would like to be included on a listserv for updates on in-kind needs!
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mark at Mark.Youmans [at] rescue.org (subject: Donation%20Question)