The IRC in Florida's Tallahassee office is seeking volunteers for a new Refugee Youth Tutoring program. The program is designed to support young refugees in grades 6 to 12 with their educational needs, with a special focus on English literacy and comprehension. Additional goals are to increase community involvement, provide mentorship and to better orient refugee students into the Tallahassee community. Volunteers will work with students in their homes; scheduling is flexible.
- Must be patient, encouraging and comfortable working with youth from diverse backgrounds, many of whom have limited English proficiency
- Must pass a background check
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must attend IRC volunteer orientation training
Experience tutoring middle and high school aged students and/or mentorship experience is preferred.
- 3 hours per week
- A 6 month commitment is desired but is negotiable on a case-by-case basis
If you are interested in applying please contact Chase.Beasley [at] Rescue.org.