The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is an IRS and community-sponsored program designed to assist low to moderate income taxpayers with the preparation of their annual tax returns at no cost.
From January 30th to April 14th, taxpayers who earn $60,000 or less can receive tax assistance from the VITA’s knowledgeable staff managed by the IRC virtually or in person in the following six sites: Dallas TX, Denver CO, Elizabeth NJ, New York City NY, Phoenix AZ or Salt Lake City UT. Please join our waitlist and an IRC staff member will follow up with you in January to schedule an appointment.
In order to participate in the VITA program, taxpayers must meet the following conditions:
- Must have gross income of less than $60,000
- Cannot be filing a “Married Filing Separate” tax returns in some states
- Must have proof of identification, and social security or ITIN cards
What VITA will prepare:
- Wages, salaries, etc. (Form W-2)
- Interest Income (Form 1099-INT)
- Dividends Received (Form 1099-DIV)
- State Tax Refunds (Form 1099-G)
- Unemployment Benefits (Form 1099-G)
- IRA Distributions (Form 1099-R)
- Pension Income (Form 1099-R, RRB-1099, CSA-1099)
- Social Security Benefits (SSA-1099)
- Simple Capital Gain/Loss (Form 1099-B)
- Sale of Home (1099-S) limited
- Self-employed Income (Form 1099-MISC) limited
- Gambling Winnings (Form W-2G)
- Cancellation of Debt (Form 1099-C) limited
- Health Savings Accounts (Form 1099-SA) limited
- Itemized Deductions limited
- Education Credits (Form 1098-T)
- Child Tax Credit
- Earned Income Credit
- Affordable Health Care Statements (Forms 1095-A, B or C)
- Prior Year and Amended Returns limited
What VITA Will Not Prepare:
- Schedule C with losses
- Complicated & advanced Schedule D (capital gains and losses)
- Form SS-5 (request for Social Security Number)
- Form 8606 (non-deductible IRA)
- Form 8615 (minor’s investment income)
- Form SS-8 (determination of worker status for purposes of federal employment taxes and income tax withholding)
In order to prepare your tax return, we will need the following items:
- IRC Intake Form
- Proof of Identification with photo: drivers license, state issued identification card or military ID for taxpayer and spouse, if filing a joint return
- Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN): Cards are needed for the taxpayer, your spouse if filing a joint return, and any eligible dependents you are claiming on your tax return
- All income documents you receive: This includes Form W-2s, 1099MISC’s, 1099R’s, 1099INT’s or any other income documentation you receive
- All tax documents associated with any deductions or credits that you are electing to claim on your tax return. These include items such as property tax statements, medical expenses, mortgage interest statements, day care provider statements, student loan interest statements, tuition payment statements, and/or IRS issued statements.
- NOTE: Due to time constraints, we are not able to sort or total receipts
- If you are married filing jointly and are electing to file your returns electronically, both the taxpayer and spouse must be available to sign the tax return.
- If a copy of last year’s tax return is available, please bring this also to aid in preparing the current year's return.
- Proof of account for direct deposit of refund (Deposit slip cannot be used)
- Total paid to day care provider and their tax ID number
- Birth dates for you, spouse and or dependents on the return
- Proof of foreign status if applying for ITIN
- Forms 1095-A, B or C (Affordable Health Care Statements)
The IRC is actively recruiting for tax volunteers until December 31st. No previous experience is needed, and training will be provided. In-person and remote opportunities are available. If you are interested, please contact the VITA Site Coordinator at [email protected] or apply at our site using this link: https://rescue.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/33513?c=rescue.
To schedule an appointment at one of our VITA sites, contact each site via the information below:
New York, NY (In-Person and Virtual Appointments)
Schedule an appointment here, call (212)377-4728, or email at [email protected].
Elizabeth, NJ (In-Person and Virtual Appointments)
Sign-Up for an appointment here, call (908)290-5496, or email [email protected].
Denver, CO (In-Person and Virtual Appointments)
Schedule an appointment here, call at (720)772-6841 or email [email protected].
Dallas, TX (In-Person and Virtual Appointments)
Schedule an appointment here, call (214)420-0248, or email [email protected].
Boise, ID (In-Person and Virtual Appointments)
Schedule an appointment here or call (208)901-8553 for assistance.
Phoenix, AZ (In-Person and Virtual Appointments)
Schedule an appointment here, call (602)433-2440, or email at [email protected].
Salt Lake City, UT (In-Person and Virtual Appointments)
Schedule an appointment here or call (801)610-9339.
San Diego, CA (In-Person and Virtual Appointments)
Schedule an appointment here or call 211 for assistance.
For tax appointments in other locations, please go to https://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/, https://myfreetaxes.com/ or you can contact us at [email protected] and we’ll reach out with additional information on local VITA resources.