SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK: The International Rescue Committee is committees to helping refugee entrepreneurs succeed in their new communities. One barrier to success for IRC client small businesses is difficulty understanding and completing tax filings. Volunteers in this position will assist two to three small businesses with their quarterly tax filings and instruct entrepreneurs on managing their finances for a calendar year.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Volunteers will be matched with 2-3 small business and assist them with quarterly tax filings for a full year. Volunteers will ensure quarterly taxes are completed accurately and on time for matched small businesses. Volunteers will also assist small businesses with financial record keeping, management, and should be available to answer questions and address concerns. Volunteers should keep instruction to entrepreneurs in mind, with a goal of entrepreneur independence as a goal. Volunteers may also be asked to lead tax workshops or host meetings on other business or financial topics.
- Degree in accounting, business administration, entrepreneurship, or finance. Student or other volunteers will be considered if knowledge in quarterly tax filings can be demonstrated
- Advanced degrees, such as CPA or MBA, are highly desired
- Experience with Utah’s tax system with a preference for knowledge in small business taxes and quarterly tax filings
- A minimum of six months of experience with small business taxes, including at least two quarterly filings for small business having been completed
- Familiarity with restaurant and e-commerce taxes is preferred
- Ability to independently communicate with entrepreneurs and complete quarterly taxes without close supervision is required
- Discretion when handling entrepreneur’s financial information is required =
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires all volunteers who are interested in providing in-person support for our work to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be onboarded for the position. If proof of vaccine cannot be provided, volunteers may still apply for virtual-only roles.
This position requires a one year commitment, with hours peaking during quarterly tax filing months.
- Attend a mandatory general orientation.
- Attend a business tax training.
Please email us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Warm Welcome Winter Clothing Drive - Event Volunteer
The Warm Welcome Winter Clothing Drive is the IRC in Salt Lake City's annual winter wear donation drive to ensure nearly 200 recently arrived refugees receive clean, new or like-new coats, jackets, boots, warm socks, hats and gloves. For many refugees, this winter will be the first time they see snow. We want to make sure they are adequately prepared.
Are you a professional food photographer looking to support the refugee community? Come take some pictures of delicious around the world dishes!
IRC in Salt Lake City Internships
IRC in Salt Lake City offers a variety of internships from case management to health to marketing and beyond!
IRC Tech Squad Volunteer
Join our tech squad to support new families and individuals with digital literacy and troubleshoothing.