SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK: The International Rescue Committee is committees to helping refugee entrepreneurs succeed in their new communities. One barrier to success for IRC client small businesses is difficulty understanding and completing tax filings. Volunteers in this position will assist two to three small businesses with their quarterly tax filings and instruct entrepreneurs on managing their finances for a calendar year.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Volunteers will be matched with 2-3 small business and assist them with quarterly tax filings for a full year. Volunteers will ensure quarterly taxes are completed accurately and on time for matched small businesses. Volunteers will also assist small businesses with financial record keeping, management, and should be available to answer questions and address concerns. Volunteers should keep instruction to entrepreneurs in mind, with a goal of entrepreneur independence as a goal. Volunteers may also be asked to lead tax workshops or host meetings on other business or financial topics.
- Degree in accounting, business administration, entrepreneurship, or finance. Student or other volunteers will be considered if knowledge in quarterly tax filings can be demonstrated
- Advanced degrees, such as CPA or MBA, are highly desired
- Experience with Utah’s tax system with a preference for knowledge in small business taxes and quarterly tax filings
- A minimum of six months of experience with small business taxes, including at least two quarterly filings for small business having been completed
- Familiarity with restaurant and e-commerce taxes is preferred
- Ability to independently communicate with entrepreneurs and complete quarterly taxes without close supervision is required
- Discretion when handling entrepreneur’s financial information is required
This position requires a one year commitment, with hours peaking during quarterly tax filing months.
- Attend a mandatory general orientation. Sign up here!
- Attend a business tax training. Sign up here!
Please email us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
IRC Tech Squad Volunteer
Are you a tech geek wanting to support refugees and immigrants in Utah with digital literacy? Join our tech squad!
Civics & Citizenship Tutor
Support refugees and immigrants as they prepare to take the citizenship test and become American citizens.
Student Support Volunteer
Support refugee students in the Salt Lake City area with their remote, online school work by providing basic academic and tech support for grades K-12.
IRC in Salt Lake City Internships
IRC in Salt Lake City offers a variety of internships from case management to health to marketing and beyond!