The COVID-19 pandemic has highlighted a tremendous digital divide and the need for our staff, clients, and services to become digitally adept – that’s why we created the Digital Inclusion program. As a volunteer, you will be an essential part of the creation of digital content and literacy trainings as a pathway to wellbeing and self-sufficiency for newly arrived refugees across DFW. You will support our team directly by helping refugees access the internet, devices, and educational opportunities as they work to positively integrate into the community.
Location: DFW Area
Time Commitment: Minimum 2-4 hours/week. Volunteers will provide instruction to clients during office hours, weekends, and evenings. Please discuss availability with staff. Regular schedule required. Remote volunteering is accepted. Minimum 4 month commitment.
• Teach clients online through 1:1, small groups, or classes on a range of digital literacy topics, including computer basics and internet usage, or how-to-use Google, Zoom, or other critical applications.
• Deliver tech to client households and assist with basic device and internet set-up (Optional)
• Assist in the creation of foundational and advanced trainings to maximize digital skills in an accelerating digital age – beginner, intermediate, advanced users.
• Monitor and report clients’ progress to Digital Inclusion team
• Support Dallas program’s key staff to incorporate standard curriculum and methodologies for the delivery of high-quality online services. General office duties and administrative support as required
• Strong intercultural communication skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and across language barriers
• Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
• Strong organizational skills, time management skills, and attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
• Excellent at distilling complexity to simple language
• Comfortable with basic computer skills; familiarly with Microsoft Excel; willingness to learn to use new software for data entry
• Must be flexible, patient, and willing to perform other reasonable duties as needed
• Positive attitude and reliability are essential qualities for prospective candidates
• Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
How to Apply:
• Attend an info session
• Submit a volunteer application
• Complete a phone or video screening with the Volunteer Coordination Team
• Pass a background check ($45 contribution encouraged to offset cost)
• Complete orientation and submit requested paperwork
• Begin your service!
More opportunities in Dallas, TX
Tax Screener Volunteer
Tax Screener Volunteer will ensure that taxpayers have all the necessary information and documents required to complete a tax return.
Tax Preparer Volunteer
Tax Preparer Volunteer will provide free, professional tax preparation services for low-income clients through IRC’s National Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
Tax Quality Reviewer Volunteer
Tax Quality Reviewer Volunteer will conduct a quality review on tax returns prepared to ensure every taxpayer receives top quality service and that tax returns are error free.
Apartment Set Up Volunteer
The Apartment Set Up Volunteer will help the Senior Housing and Logistics Specialist prepare and furnish homes for new refugee families.