Employment Assistant Volunteer (JTAL): El Cajon
The Job Training and Application Lab (JTAL) helps recently arrived refugees create resumes and search and apply for jobs.
- Assist IRC clients in applying for jobs online on a one-on-one basis
- Use clients’ past experiences to format and write resumes and/or cover letters
- Prepare clients for interviews and general U.S. work culture
- Provide administrative assistance in setting up appointments for walk-ins or over the phone
- Teach clients how to use Google Maps to plan a trip
- Accompany clients on public transportation to and from major destinations in San Diego for example, Downtown, Balboa Park, IRC office, etc.
- Minimum 3-month commitment
- At least 4 hours per week
- Shifts available: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
- MUST be proficient in English; proficiency in Arabic, Farsi, or Pashto a plus
- Experience using computers and programs such as Microsoft Word, Chrome, etc.
- Effective communicator to bridge the gap that often arises from language barriers
- Ability to work in a multicultural setting
- Knowledge and understanding of the US job search process
- Experience with San Diego public transportation system
- Provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19
- Willing to adhere to IRC Volunteer and workplace policies, including confidentiality policies
How to apply
- Submit online application (must include resume and top three position preferences to be considered complete)
- Background check via HireRight ($49 donation to help cover the cost)
- Attend a general IRC orientation and begin placement and training
Please email Volunteer Coordinator, Laura Dell, [email protected] if you have any questions.