Minimum Commitment: 6 months
Hours: 2 hours per week
The IRC in Abilene works diligently with refugee families upon arrival to help them learn US customs and culture as well as systems in the US that are new to refugee clients. Often, it can be difficult for refugee clients to learn US culture in a classroom setting. Through mentorships, IRC clients can have a friend to help them learn things like English, US culture, how to shop at US grocery stores, etc. Mentoring a refugee family is a great opportunity for cultural exchange for both the mentor and mentee. Mentors will be expected to spend a minimum of 2 hours with their refugee family every week/two weeks. The mentor period lasts anywhere form 4-6 months.
- Volunteer should have a strong desire to work with diverse populations and demonstrate patience with English language learners
- Teach clients to take public transportation, access community resources, find culturally appropriate foods, access public libraries, etc.
- Serve as a first friend, cultural mentor and advocate
- Focus on activities geared towards achieving self-sufficiency and English acquisition
Ready to start?
- RSVP to and attend an information session.
- Review our current available volunteer positions and choose 3 that best fit your interests, skills, and schedule.
- Complete a volunteer application. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator as needs arise for your chosen position.You may be selected for an interview.
- Completing 2 reference checks and a background check.
- Once the interview is confirmed and conducted, successful interviewees will complete the necessary background checks. To protect our clients, we require background checks for all our volunteers, and we ask volunteers to make a $45 donation to cover associated costs. Currently, 92% of our funding goes directly to our clients, and your help to cover this cost allows us to continue providing the best service possible. These donations can be made at the IRC in Abilene office during normal business hours. For inquiries regarding the donation specifically, please reach out to Jen.Rogers [at] Rescue.org (subject: Volunteer%20Interest) (Jen) at (325) 675-5643.
- Complete onboarding training and paperwork.