BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF POSITION: Spice Kitchen Incubator is a program at the IRC that helps prospective entrepreneurs start their own food business. The first half of our program involves making a business plan, designing a menu, and creating a marketing strategy. Food photography is an essential part of creating professional content for websites, social media marketing, and menu development. You will be paired with entrepreneurs to photograph their menu items and provide them with an edited portfolio for their promotional use.
- Meet with an entrepreneur over the course of 1 - 2 meetings to understand their creative vision and photograph their menu items
- Edit photos
- Create a portfolio and share it with the entrepreneur
- Commit to volunteer at least 10 hours a month for a 3 month term
- Associates or Bachelors Degree in photography (can substitute years of professional photography experience for years of education)
- DSLR or Mirrorless and Flash
- Reliable transportation to for yourself and camera equipment
- Preferred: Food or Product photography experience
- Knowledge and practice in using Lightroom and Photoshop
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires all volunteers who are interested in providing in-person support for our work to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be onboarded for the position. If proof of vaccine cannot be provided, volunteers may still apply for virtual-only roles.
- Attend a mandatory general volunteer orientation.
Please email us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Warm Welcome Winter Clothing Drive - Event Volunteer
The Warm Welcome Winter Clothing Drive is the IRC in Salt Lake City's annual winter wear donation drive to ensure nearly 200 recently arrived refugees receive clean, new or like-new coats, jackets, boots, warm socks, hats and gloves. For many refugees, this winter will be the first time they see snow. We want to make sure they are adequately prepared.
IRC Tech Squad Volunteer
Join our tech squad to support new families and individuals with digital literacy and troubleshoothing.
Spice to Go Volunteer
Help refugee, immigrant and low-income Utahns share their amazing food with the community! Shifts are Thursdays 3:30-6:30pm for volunteers 14 or older.
Housing Support Volunteer
New refugees are arriving and we need support with setting up their new homes. Be part of making refugees welcome in Utah!