The Health Access Volunteer will be a member of the Health Access and Education team focused on ensuring our clients are able to get to various doctor's appointments scheduled by the Health Access staff. Volunteers will not only transport clients, occassionally via the bus deemed necessary by IRC staff, but will assist clients navigate clinics to locate their doctor and process paperwork. Volunteers in this role will receive a substantial amount of one-time one-on-one interaction with IRC clients.
- Drive refugees in personal vehicle to and from various medical appointments
- Provide bus orientations to primary care cliics of refugee clients
- Advocate for client at appointment to ensure proper treatment and interaction
- Communicate questions, successes and challenges with IRC staff
- 18 or older with valid driver's license and insurance
- Live within Salt Lake County
- Must be available for a full work day (9am-5pm) to provide health team with enough time to schedule an appointment. Official appointment infomration will be sent the Friday prior to your shift. Typical shift length is 3-4 hours a week
- Patience and flexible
- Clear an IRC HireRight background check
- Reliable, flexible and able to work independently
- Attend an info session, sign up here: http://signup.com/go/zWyQod
- After the info session, you will receive the volunteer application on which you can list positions of interest. When training dates arise for relevant positions, you will be notified.
- Once paired with a role, all volunteers must clear an IRC background check. For the backgroud check we do ask for a $45 donation to cover the cost.
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Family Nutrition Access (WIC) Volunteer
Support our maternal & child health program by helping new and soon-to-be mothers access healthy foods through the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) benefit program.
Adult ESL Tutor
Provide one-on-one support to newly arrived refugees working to develop basic English speaking skills.
Mentor a New American entrepreneur as they navigate and overcome common obstacles on their path to opening a business, contributing to our community, and reaching self-sufficiency.
Front Desk Volunteer
Be the face of the IRC! Front desk volunteers keep our day to day operations going and serve as a friendly face for refugees arriving in our office.