Under the supervision of the Resettlement Manager, casework support interns provide services and guidance for newly arrived refugees and assist with locating housing for them.
- Assist the resettlement team with core services such as purchasing household supplies and furniture, household set-up, orientation, purchasing supplies, and related activities that support the client resettlement process
- Support the resettlement team’s efforts to link clients with appropriate educational, health and social services
- Assist clients with enrollment in English language classes
- Teach refugees and special immigrants how to operate video conferencing platforms such as Zoom
- Collaborate with the Resettlement Manager, Economic Empowerment Manager, and the Reception and Placement department to find residences that meet current client needs
- Use online search strategies and networking abilities to locate local housing options for clients
- Contact landlords and property managers to identify current vacancies
- Assist with the timely completion and filing of client records, documentation and case files
- Help with other case management-related tasks when needed
- Minimum Commitment: Internships typically run for 15 hours per week for 4-6 months. IRC Turlock's fall cohort will begin the first week of September.
This position reports to the Resettlement Manager
This is an unpaid internship. Work-related driving is eligible for charitable mileage rate reimbursement.
Internships are available for current college students, graduate students, and graduates less than one year post-graduation. Course credit and transcript notation are available if the student submits the appropriate paperwork to the Volunteer and Donations Coordinator.
- Current undergrad, graduate student or recently graduated student with a focus in Sociology, Social Work, Political Science, Public Policy, International Studies, or a related field.
- Proficiency with Zoom or other video conferencing platforms
- Expertise in cross-cultural communications
- Ability to handle confidential documents and sensitive information
- Candidates with a driver’s license, vehicle and proof of insurance preferred
How to Apply:
Fill out an application online. If you're a good fit for this opportunity, someone will be in touch with you.
More opportunities in Turlock, CA
Interpretation support volunteers connect with clients and IRC staff via virtual platforms (i.e. phone, FaceTime, Google Hangout, Skype, Whats App, Zoom) to provide support for IRC programming.
Donations delivery assistant
Under the supervision of the volunteer and donations coordinator, donation delivery assistants transport groceries and toiletries to the homes of refugees and special immigrants living in Central California.
INTERNSHIP: Economic Empowerment
Under the supervision and direction of the Employment Supervisor, the Economic Empowerment Intern will help with a range of activities to help prepare refugees and other survivors of conflict for their first jobs in the United States.
INTERNSHIP: Immigration Support
Under the supervision and direction of the Immigration Caseworker, the Immigration Support Intern will help immigrants attain residency and citizenship in the United States and promote civics outreach activities throughout the San Joaquin Valley.