Under the supervision of the Resettlement Manager, casework support interns provide services and guidance for newly arrived refugees and assist with locating housing for them.
- Assist the resettlement team with core services such as purchasing household supplies and furniture, household set-up, orientation, purchasing supplies, and related activities that support the client resettlement process
- Support the resettlement team’s efforts to link clients with appropriate educational, health and social services
- Assist clients with enrollment in English language classes
- Teach refugees and special immigrants how to operate video conferencing platforms such as Zoom
- Collaborate with the Resettlement Manager, Economic Empowerment Manager, and the Reception and Placement department to find residences that meet current client needs
- Use online search strategies and networking abilities to locate local housing options for clients
- Contact landlords and property managers to identify current vacancies
- Assist with the timely completion and filing of client records, documentation and case files
- Help with other case management-related tasks when needed
- Minimum Commitment: Internships typically run for 15 hours per week for 4-6 months. IRC Turlock's fall cohort will begin the first week of September.
This position reports to the Resettlement Manager
This is an unpaid internship. Work-related driving is eligible for charitable mileage rate reimbursement.
Internships are available for current college students, graduate students, and graduates less than one year post-graduation. Course credit and transcript notation are available if the student submits the appropriate paperwork to the Volunteer and Donations Coordinator.
- Current undergrad, graduate student or recently graduated student with a focus in Sociology, Social Work, Political Science, Public Policy, International Studies, or a related field.
- Proficiency with Zoom or other video conferencing platforms
- Expertise in cross-cultural communications
- Ability to handle confidential documents and sensitive information
- Candidates with a driver’s license, vehicle and proof of insurance preferred
How to Apply:
Fill out an application online. If you're a good fit for this opportunity, someone will be in touch with you.