SCOPE OF ROLE: MyVA (Mentoring Youth in VA) Mentor Volunteers work with our Youth Programs Department to provide mentorship to young adult clients (age 15 to 24). These volunteers work closely with their client mentees, providing education and building skills that will help prepare them to successfully navigate the transition to adulthood in the United States.
- Days and times: flexible based on client and volunteer schedules
- Frequency: biweekly or monthly
- Hours: 1-2 hours per shift
- Length: 6-12 months
LOCATION: client home, throughout community, may have intermittent virtual option
Responsibilities vary by client depending on age, experiences, and goals but may include:
- School tutoring
- Assist client with getting a driver's license
- Facilitate college enrollment
- Take clients to tour colleges
- Facilitate community integration/youth engagement/volunteer opportunities for client
- Help build a resume
- Must have reliable transportation
- Experience or comfort working with young adult clients
- Experience with or comfort with learning to navigate higher education systems
- Ability to suspend personal opinion and focus on steps to achieve client goals
- Must prioritize self-suffi ciency and learning opportunities, doing things WITH clients rather than FOR clients
- Maintain fi rm boundaries around role responsibilities
- Adhere to IRC Richmond confi dentiality policies
- Clients are matched with volunteers a few years older so that volunteers have some experience navigating life at the stage our clients are experiencing - depending on age of clients in need of mentorship IRC Richmond may only be able to onboard volunteers age 25+.
- Must adhere to IRC professional standards and volunteer policies including those around boundaries, confidentiality, COVID-19, etc.