Thank you for your interest in assisting refugees and asylees in our community. By volunteering with the IRC in Sacramento, you can share your unique experience and skills directly with IRC clients. Volunteer support is an integral part of the IRC’s mission to provide opportunities for refugees to thrive in Sacramento.
Volunteers in this direct-service support position assist in the employment center to help refugees prepare for their first jobs in the U.S.! Volunteers support class participants as they learn about the job search process and practice skills they’ll need to be successful in securing employment. Our classes focus on increasing clients’ confidence and English skills through conversation and oral/visual instruction rather than text-based instruction. Volunteers assist with helping newly arrived refugees search for and attain employment. Under the supervision and direction of the Employment Specialists, volunteers help with a range of activities such as creating resumes, filling out job applications, mentoring clients one-on-one about finding work in the U.S..
The ideal volunteer in this role is:
- Effective in accomplishing tasks in a warm and relational way
- Confident using online search tools, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), GoogleDrive
- Willing to support and teach clients in 1-on-1 and small group settings
- Experienced with administration, record keeping, scheduling and logistics
- Successful when multi-tasking
- Able to excel with minimal supervision
- Driving to help clients overcome barriers to receiving social services
- Valid driver’s license, reliable car, proof of insurance
- Client-related mileage is eligible for reimbursement
Minimum Commitment: 4+ hrs/ week for a minimum 4 months during IRC business hours Mon – Fri from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Longer volunteer commitments encouraged.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and undergo a security background check
If interested in volunteering with the International Rescue Committee in Sacramento, please complete a volunteer application by following this link. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator as needs arise.
More opportunities in Sacramento, CA
Current university students and recent graduates, apply your skills, gain hands-on experience, and impact lives.
Donations & logistics volunteer
Coordinate and collect donations to help our families settle into their first homes!
Citizenship Workshop Assistant
Volunteers will assist clients as they complete their citizenship applications.
New Roots farm & community garden support volunteer
Dig in with us! Support IRC gardening and food security initiatives.