SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
The International Rescue Committee is committed to helping refugee business owners succeed. Refugee’s are more likely than people born in the United States to start their own business and the IRC is dedicated to assisting these refugee entrepreneurs. The IRC of Salt Lake City is seeking volunteers with various skills to serve these entrepreneurs, including those with backgrounds in tax preparation, small business marketing, and other aspects of business development.
Volunteers will serve as mentors and resources for refugee business owners and prospective business owners. Volunteers will be responsible for responding to refugee entrepreneurs emails/requests for help. This may include help with marketing, taxes, and business growth. Volunteers will also be responsible for coordinating virtual meetings with business owners as needed. Volunteers may also be responsible for instructing groups of refugee entrepreneurs as instructors during workshops and open house/office hours. Workshop topics could include quarterly tax preparation, website or Facebook page creation, and business cashflow tracking. Volunteers should be focused on instructing refugee business owners and giving them the tools for further success, not simply completing tasks for them.
Success in this position will be assessed according to the skills the volunteer offers. For tax volunteers, the completion of quarterly taxes with refugee entrepreneurs will be essential. For marketing volunteers, creating a logo and social media profiles for small business owners will be required. Goals and positive outcomes for volunteers will be assigned on a case per case basis.
- Degree in business administration, accounting, entrepreneurship, finance, or marketing. Students or prospective volunteers with other degrees considered if background/knowledge in business can be demonstrated.
- Advanced degrees, such as CPA or MBA, are highly desired.
- A minimum of six months experience in business development is required. This can include experience in marketing, business taxes, or small business development.
- Ability to independently schedule and complete virtual meetings is required.
- Volunteers must be highly competent with computers.
- Volunteers need to be punctual and reliably respond to emails and refugee entrepreneurs requests.
- Volunteers must be able to maintain a professional relationship with all refugee entrepreneurs they engage with.
- Attend a general volunteer orientation. Sign up here.
- Attend a small business volunteer training. Sign up here.
Please email us at VolunteerSLC [at] rescue.org
More opportunities in Salt Lake City, UT
Goat Project Feeding Volunteer
Interested in volunteering outside with goats? Come support the Goat Project by taking on a regular goat feeding shift!
Health Access Volunteer
Going to the doctor's office can be daunting for those of us born in the US, but think about how confusing it can be for those who are new to Utah. We are looking for volunteers with a flexible schedule that can assist refugees as they access the health care system.
IRC Tech Squad Volunteer
Are you a tech geek wanting to support refugees and immigrants in Utah with digital literacy? Join our tech squad!
IRC in Salt Lake City Internships
IRC in Salt Lake City offers a variety of internships from case management to health to marketing and beyond!