TITLE: Tax Preparation Volunteer
LOCATION: In person & Online***, Can join virtually from anywhere in the US!
START DATE: January 2022
DURATION: Tax Season 2022 (January-April 2022)
Provide support to individuals and families with incomes below the national average by guiding them through the tax preparation process! No tax preparation experience needed! Join our program in person or virtually from anywhere in the US!
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities.
SCOPE OF WORK: The IRC operates a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to provide FREE tax preparation services to individuals and families with incomes below the national average who would like to get the most out of their tax return. Last tax season, the IRC in San Diego’s VITA Volunteers completed more than 2,200 returns and helped our community receive more than $3.5 million in refunds. As a tax preparation volunteer, you will provide important support to individuals and families with incomes below the national average by guiding them through the tax preparation process and connecting them with other IRC resources when appropriate. You will work one-on-one with clients supporting them in navigating the ins and outs of tax preparation.
NO PREVIOUS TAX EXPERIENCE NECESSARY! If chosen as a volunteer, the IRC will provide you with training that results in your certification as a volunteer income tax preparer. This training involves a self-directed online curriculum combined with support from IRC staff. This is an excellent opportunity to gain skills in tax preparation while providing support to families and individuals that can benefit from your expertise.
***Our VITA program may be conducted in person or online. More details will be released closer to the start of the VITA program in January 2022.
- Volunteer will gain training and experience in tax preparation and customer service.
- Volunteer will obtain certification as a volunteer income tax preparer.
- Volunteer will have opportunities to connect with fellow volunteers and IRC staff with similar interests and career goals.
Prior to start date:
- Complete tax preparation training online and pass the IRS VITA certification exam at the advanced level
- Attend IRC Volunteer Orientation
- Communicate promptly with Volunteer Coordinator and VITA Supervisor
- Prepare Federal and State tax returns for refugee communities and individuals and families with incomes below the national average
- Greet clients and provide a safe and comfortable environment for them
- Perform quality reviews to ensure returns are prepared correctly
- Communicate promptly with VITA Supervisor any changes in schedule or other needs
TIME REQUIREMENTS: Tax Preparation Volunteers are expected to commit to at least 6 hours of tax preparation per week for the duration of the 2022 Tax Season (January-April 2022). Volunteers may choose from the shifts below:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
- 10 AM-1 PM (PST)
- 1 PM-4 PM (PST)
- Tuesday, Thursday
- 1 PM-4 PM (PST)
- 4 PM-7 PM (PST)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Access to laptop, computer, or other device suitable for tax preparation assistance with access to reliable wi-fi connection
- Familiarity with technology and computer skills
- Second language skills a plus (Spanish, Arabic, Farsi, or another refugee language)
- Customer service experience a plus
- Experience working with refugee and immigrant communities and diverse and/or multicultural groups a plus
- No tax experience necessary – training to be provided
- Background check clearance
This position reports to Hayder Almodares, Senior Asset Building Specialist.
To apply to this position, please fill out an IRC Volunteer Application here and indicate which position you are applying for. If we would like to move forward with your application, we will reach out to schedule an interview.
More opportunities in San Diego, CA
San Diego Internship Opportunities
Academic internships currently available at the IRC in San Diego. Currently recruiting for the following positions: Refugee Client Services Intern, Citizenship Education Program Intern, and Youth Programs Engagement Intern.
High School Tutor
IRC San Diego runs several youth programs, including after school tutoring for high school students. One-on-one and small group tutoring from volunteers helps prepare students for success in school. Tutors will meet with high school students located in San Diego, CA via Zoom breakout rooms to work through school assignments and provide strategies for students to develop their skills. Tutoring for fall 2021 semester will begin remotely, via Zoom, and may shift back to in-person services when safe to do so.
Women’s Resilience Center English Conversation Volunteer
Volunteers will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of English Conversation Sessions within the Women’s Resilience Center (WRC). These interactive sessions are hosted online, via ZOOM, where volunteers create a safe, welcoming space to practice English with WRC members. Keeping in line with the WRC's person-centered approach, topics for sessions will be guided by participants and their interests.
Immigration Department Admin Assistant
Volunteers will work to provide administrative support to the Immigration Department. (In-person requirement.)
Responsibilities: Sorting department mail; update case files and department database; create case files and filing; schedule clients for immigration legal service appointments; other related duties as assigned.