The IRC’s Program Quality and Innovation Unit assists offices which help newly arrived refugees and other low-income individuals reach self-sufficiency by finding entry-level employment and progress to living wage jobs; learn basic financial management skills and build assets; start small businesses; and access Earned Income Tax Credit. Under the supervision of the Tax Site Coordinator, Volunteer Tax Quality Reviewer will conduct a quality review on tax returns prepared to ensure every taxpayer receives top quality service and that tax returns are error free. The IRC’s goal is to assist 4,000 taxpayers in preparing their returns in a safe, culturally and linguistically appropriate manner – remotely.
TIME COMMITMENT: January- April 2022 between 3-15 hours per week. Volunteer will need to supply his/her own home workspace, computer, internet access, etc.
• Refer taxpayers with ‘out-of-scope’ returns to a professional return preparer.
• Complete all IRC and IRS mandated trainings and certifications, including the Volunteer Standards of Conduct (VSC) certification and Intake/Interview & Quality Review certification. Basic level certification is also needed (Advanced level certification preferred).
• Review Publication 5299, Quality Review Refresher and Publication 5310, and VITA/TCE Tax Return Quality Review Job Aid.
• Conduct a quality review on all returns, using the Quality Review Checklist found in Publication 4012. Using the completed Form 13614-C and source documents, ensure all these items are consistent with the entries on the tax return.
• Advise the taxpayer that he/she is ultimately responsible for the information on the return before asking the taxpayer to sign Form 8879 or the tax return. Explain to the taxpayer that signing the return certifies that the taxpayer has examined the return, including all the forms and schedules for accuracy, and they are signing the return under penalty of perjury.
• Provide feedback to volunteer preparers explaining identified errors captured during quality review and instructions for making the necessary corrections.
• High school diploma required. Students studying finance, accounting, or a related field, preferred.
• No previous experience as a VITA volunteer required – IRC will provide the required training for the program per IRC’s and the IRS’s policies.
• Excellent customer service skills, including experience working with a diverse client base.
• Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail.
• High level of computer literacy.
• High level of comfort and effectiveness in working with multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
• Strong commitment to economic empowerment of low-income and underserved populations.
• Ability to speak in other languages a plus.
• Go through an IRC background check.
• In light of COVID-19 and the dynamic situation across the world, this opportunity will be a home-based, remote work assignment (instead of office-based).
• Commitment to a regular schedule is preferable, though schedule can be flexible per your other commitments.
How to Apply:
• Attend an info session
• Submit a volunteer application
• Complete a phone or video screening with the Volunteer Coordination Team
• Pass a background check ($45 contribution encouraged to offset cost)
• Complete orientation and submit requested paperwork
• Begin your service!
More opportunities in Dallas, TX
Tax Screener Volunteer
Tax Screener Volunteer will ensure that taxpayers have all the necessary information and documents required to complete a tax return.
Tax Preparer Volunteer
Tax Preparer Volunteer will provide free, professional tax preparation services for low-income clients through IRC’s National Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
Apartment Set Up Volunteer
The Apartment Set Up Volunteer will help the Senior Housing and Logistics Specialist prepare and furnish homes for new refugee families.
Transportation Support Volunteer
Support your new neighbors by providing transportation to their appointments.