The IRC’s Program Quality and Innovation Unit assists offices which help newly arrived refugees and other low-income individuals reach self-sufficiency by finding entry-level employment and progress to living wage jobs; learn basic financial management skills and build assets; start small businesses; and access Earned Income Tax Credit. Under the supervision of the Tax Site Coordinator, Volunteer Tax Screeners will ensure that taxpayers have all the necessary information and documents required to complete a tax return. The IRC’s goal is to assist 4,000 taxpayers in preparing their returns in a safe, culturally and linguistically appropriate manner – remotely.
TIME COMMITMENT: January- April 2022 between 3-15 hours per week. Volunteer will need to supply his/her own home workspace, computer, internet access, etc.
• Refer taxpayers with ‘out-of-scope’ returns to a professional return preparer.
• Complete all IRC and IRS mandated trainings and certifications, including the Standards of Conduct (VSC) certification and Basic level certification (IRC prefers certifying at the Advanced level).
• Ensure the taxpayer has brought the required documents (e.g. valid photo identification, Social Security card(s), W-2, 1099, 1095, prior year’s return, etc.) for tax return completion. Give each taxpayer Form 13614-C and the Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet to complete.
• Explain the site’s return preparation process to the taxpayer. Provide assistance in scanning and uploading necessary tax documents while also verifying taxpayer identification.
• High school diploma required. Students studying finance, accounting, or a related field, preferred.
• No previous experience as a VITA volunteer required – IRC will provide the required training for the program per IRC’s and the IRS’s policies.
• Excellent customer service skills, including experience working with a diverse client base.
• Strong organizational skills and high level of attention to detail.
• High level of computer literacy.
• High level of comfort and effectiveness in working with multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams.
• Strong commitment to economic empowerment of low-income and underserved populations.
• Go through an IRC background check.
• In light of COVID-19 and the dynamic situation across the world, this opportunity will be a home-based, remote work assignment (instead of office-based).
• Commitment to a regular schedule is preferable, though schedule can be flexible per your other commitments.
How to Apply:
• Attend an info session
• Submit a volunteer application
• Complete a phone or video screening with the Volunteer Coordination Team
• Pass a background check ($45 contribution encouraged to offset cost)
• Complete orientation and submit requested paperwork
• Begin your service!
More opportunities in Dallas, TX
Tax Preparer Volunteer
Tax Preparer Volunteer will provide free, professional tax preparation services for low-income clients through IRC’s National Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
Tax Quality Reviewer Volunteer
Tax Quality Reviewer Volunteer will conduct a quality review on tax returns prepared to ensure every taxpayer receives top quality service and that tax returns are error free.
Airport Pick Up Volunteer
Airport pick up volunteers will work closely with caseworkers to receive families as they arrive at the DFW International Airport. Volunteers must have access to a car and be willing to transport IRC clients with it.
Apartment Set Up Volunteer
The Apartment Set Up Volunteer will help the Senior Housing and Logistics Specialist prepare and furnish homes for new refugee families.