Newly arrived refugees have many appointments to get to, both at the IRC office and elsewhere around the DFW area. Most do not have cars, and transportation can often be difficult and time-consuming. Support refugees by transporting them to some of these appointments and then taking them back home afterwards. Volunteers must have access to a car and be willing to transport IRC clients with it. Volunteers should also be culturally sensitive and respectful of diverse backgrounds, self-motivated and comfortable working with little supervision, and able to handle sensitive client information confidentially. Most importantly, volunteers should be welcoming and eager to help newly-arrived refugees settle into the DFW community.
Location: Primarily off-site in the DFW area (exact location disclosed to volunteers).*
Time Commitment: As needed, when IRC staff or families request help with transportation. However, volunteers should normally expect to spend 2-4 hours on a given day working with a family.
• Communicate with IRC staff about pick up and drop off logistics.
• Ensure client(s) are directed to proper appointment location by walking client(s) to designated office/room number.
• Assist client(s) with checking in for their appointment by confirming client(s) information.
• Ensure office staff and client(s) have contact information for when the client(s) is ready to be picked up.
• Record hours and submit a completed time sheet at the end of each month via the IRC’s online Volunteer Dashboard
• Available on an as-needed basis
• Reliability, attention to detail
• Work well under pressure
• Flexible and adaptive to change
• Excellent communication skills
• Provide valid driver’s license with current insurance
• Provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19
• Willing to adhere to IRC Volunteer and workplace policies, including confidentiality policies
How to Apply:
• Attend an info session
• Submit a volunteer application
• Complete a phone or video screening with the Volunteer Coordination Team
• Pass a background check ($45 contribution encouraged to offset cost)
• Complete orientation and submit requested paperwork
• Begin your service!