The IRC in Salt Lake City is committed to supporting newly arrived refugees on their journey from harm to home. As part of that commitment, we provide refugees with the basics they will need to start rebuilding their lives here in the U.S. Join our efforts by gathering much-needed in-kind donations to assist newly arrived refugee families and individuals as they work to regain control of their future and positively integrate into our community.
Our current in-kind donation needs include the following:
Donations can be dropped off at our office on weekdays between 9am and 5pm. We are unable to accept donations during the weekend. Please contact Jen Dean, development specialist, at 801.883.8456 or by email at DonateSLC [at] Rescue.org (subject: Donation%20Inquiry) .
Please note there are items that we cannot accept. Please review this list before making your donation.
- General Priority Needs: See our Amazon Wish List.
- Extended Program Needs: At the IRC SLC, we provide various opportunities for aspiring entrepreneurs to pursue their business ideas with the goal of becoming self-sufficient and integrated into the community. For a list of extended programs' needs, please see:
- Gift Cards: value of $25-$100 for large stores like Walmart, Target or Smith's.
Kindly note that we are unable to accept everyday clothing donations. However, each September and October, we collect winter wear during our Warm Winter Welcome Clothing Drive. View our list of nonprofits who are able to accept clothing donations year-round.
DIY Donation Drive Opportunities:
Donation Drives are a great way to involve your workplace, civic or church group in a volunteer activity. Donations might include hygiene kits, school kits, work bags, etc. Contact Jen Dean, development specialist, at 801.883.8456 or by email at DonateSLC [at] rescue.org (subject: Donation%20Drive%20Inquiry%20) to discuss donation drive ideas based on current needs.
Ongoing needs include:
- Gift Card Drive: gift cards to stores like Walmart, Target and Smith's offer newly arrived refugees the opportunity to choose for themselves the things they need.
- Resettlement Kit: Basic home supplies—such as cleaning supplies and kitchen utensils—welcome refugee families and individuals when they arrive at their new home, and help their budget stretch farther as they settle into life in the United States.
Throughout the year, the IRC in Salt Lake City reaches out to the community to provide specific items for donation drives and other needs, including our Warm Welcome Winter Clothing Drive in October and our Light One Candle donation drive in December.
- Warm Welcome Winter Clothing Drive: throughout the month of September, the IRC in Salt Lake City calls upon the community to donate winter coats, hats, boots and other items to distribute to newly arrived refugees in October.
- Light One Candle: join us in welcoming refugees to Salt Lake City by sponsoring refugee families or individuals during our annual holiday gift drive.
In addition to in-kind donations, monetary donations contribute greatly to the success of the IRC's work. Make your donation using the link below to ensure 100% of your contribution supports our work right here in Salt Lake City. Every bit of support helps!
Make your online contribution today! Other monetary donations can be sent to our office in Salt Lake City:
International Rescue Committee
Attn: Jesse Sheets
221 South 400 West
PO Box 3988
Salt Lake City, UT 84110
Does the IRC accept furniture donations?
Due to limited storage space, we only accept a limited quantity of new or like-new couches, dining tables and dining chairs. Contact Salam Shawky, housing & logistics coordinator, at 801.883.8482 or by email at DonateSLC [at] Rescue.org (subject: Furniture%20Donation) to determine if we can accept your lightly used furniture.
How do I schedule a donation pick up?
Before scheduling a donation pickup, please take a moment to review the rest of our Donations FAQs, then:
- Kindly review our donation pickup range to see if we can schedule a pickup in your area.
- Contact our housing & logistics coordinator, Salam Shawky, at 801.883.8482 or by email at DonateSLC [at] Rescue.org to discuss current furniture needs and the possibility of scheduling a donation pickup.
- Once items are picked up, our development specialist can offer you a tax-deductible donation receipt for your in-kind donation.
Does quality matter for furniture donations?
Yes! Refugees should begin their new life with dignity, therefore, we have high expectations for furniture donations. Upholstered furniture should be in good condition without any tears, rips, scratches or stains. If pets are allowed on upholstered furniture, the items should be well-vacuumed and cleaned before scheduling a donation pickup. All furniture should be structurally sound without any need for repairs.
Yes! We cannot accept the following items:
- Mattresses/Box Springs
- Bed Frames/Headboards
- Sleeper Sofas
- Washing machines
- Glass-top Furniture
- Wicker Furniture
- Entertainment Centers
- Large Desks
- Large Dressers
- Large Bookcases
- Dish Washers
- Some electronics: VCRs, Sound Systems, Cameras, Telephones
We can only accept the following items new:
- Car Seats
- Bicycle Helmets
- School Supplies
- Hygiene Items
- Cleaning Supplies
- Vacuum Cleaners
- Bed Pillows
We cannot accept computers over 4 years old. Additionally, we cannot accept TVs over 10 years old.
Will all items be accepted during a donation pickup appointment?
If our development specialist deems any items ineligible during a donation pickup, they will not be able to accept them for donation.
Questions? Contact our development specialist, Jen Dean, by email at DonateSLC [at] Rescue.org or by phone at 801.883.8456.