How to help
At a time when more than 100 million people are uprooted by crisis worldwide, here are 10 reasons to give to the International Rescue Committee (IRC):
- For nearly 90 years we have been helping people affected by humanitarian crises to survive, recover and rebuild their lives.
- We were founded at the call of Albert Einstein. Ingenuity, fortitude and optimism remain at the heart of who we are and how we work.
- We are the largest refugee resettlement agency in the United States. In 2021, we served nearly 35,000 people across 20 cities with asylum and protection programs.
- In 2021 alone, we reached over 31.5 million people in countries affected by crisis with health care, clean water, education, protection and emergency cash—among other assistance provided around the world last year.
- We are rapidly responding to the triple threat refugees are facing right now—ongoing conflict, the spread of COVID-19 and climate change.
- We help people in some of the toughest places on Earth, including Yemen, Syria and Somalia.
- We have developed and are implementing a revolutionary new approach to treating malnutrition in children.
- We work in more than 40 countries, including Afghanistan. In a single year, we helped more than 1 million people in Afghanistan with services, including education and safe spaces for girls. We are determined to stay and deliver life-changing support as long as we are needed.
- We were on the ground in Poland before the Ukraine conflict began, monitoring the situation and preparing to respond, and today we're providing aid in Ukraine and Poland directly and with local nonprofits with deep roots in their communities.
- We adapt to the challenges in front of us with courage and resilience and we never, ever give up on refugees and displaced families.
See more of our impact at a glance.